Palatino, Clerkenwell

I’ve been wanting to go to Palatino for ages. Their Instagram feed looks delicious! I finally got an invitation to lunch there so I grabbed it. I’m on a low carb diet but I knew I’d have to break it for this date and so I did.

Palatino is at 71 Central Street off Old Street, Clerkenwell, and is on the ground floor of a new building that is part residences, part co-working space, and part restaurant. The ambience is relaxed, modern, and bright.

I was there a little earlier than my south London friend and was served some foccacia with courgettes - very tasty. They also had a special on unlimited house still or sparkling water - £1 bottle - so that was a no-brainer.

I started with a Anchovy, stracciatella, toast at £6.5. The toast was crunchy, the stracciatella was soft, and the anchovy was the tinned/jarred variety. I like anchovies. I thought this was simple and tasty but also a bit overpriced.

I then had the Pappardelle with porl and beef ragu (I wanted the small starter size at £9. The pasta was definitely home made and tender. The ragu was lovely, nothing too special. I had wanted the pappardelle with lamb and pea (on the menu on site) but this was still delicious and I was really looking forward to pasta. I skipped the mains, although the menu is promising. My friend also ordered the Tonarelli cheese and pepper, telicherry pepper & pecorino pasta, so I got to taste this - they are known for it. It was lovely and cheesy but, although I like my pasta a bit al dente, I would have liked.

For dessert I chose a tart with apricots, almonds and rosemary. Interesting combination!
This was a pleasant, although not spectactular meal but would be lovely for a lunch with friends

Anchovy, stracciatella, toast

Pappardelle with porl and beef ragu

Top - panna cotta with strawberry and something I forget!
Bottom - Tart with apricot, almond and rosemary

The restaurant space

Palatino