Paderia Bakehouse - Delicious Portuguese Egg Tarts, Filipino Ensaymadas, Malasadas and More at this Multi-Cultural Bakery [Thoughts + Pics]

From the moment you walk into Paderia Bakehouse, it is clear that this isn’t just another nondescript, typical Asian bakery (where most feel like clones of each other). From the decor to the menu to the ingredients, it is clear that Paderia is something distinct and unique, a Bakery that focuses on highlight baked goods from around the world, made with quality ingredients like imported Chocolate, Butter, etc.

The menu is easy-to-read, concentrating on just a few main specialties during our first visit: Portuguese Egg Tarts, Filipino Ensaymadas, Hawaiian variants of Malasadas, American Gourmet Cookies, and Cheesecake and Banana Pudding. They also serve various Drinks, including Vietnamese Iced Coffee and Horchata Iced Coffee.

There was an initial confusion / wonderment as we perused the menu, curious as to what this diverse menu’s focus might be. However, after sampling the menu and reading their website, it’s clear that Paderia Bakehouse is focusing on bringing some of the “greatest hits” of baked goods from around the world together in one place, made with quality and care.

Matcha Iced Horchata:

A rather brilliant idea, taking the classic Mexican Horchata Rice-based beverage and infusing them with complementary flavors like Matcha Green Tea, Dulce de Leche, or Strawberries. The Matcha Iced Horchata was tasty and refreshing, not overly sweet and with a good herbal Matcha Green Tea flavor coming through.

Malasada (Portuguese / Hawaiian Fried “Doughnut”):

While the original Portuguese Malasada is made without a filling, the Hawaiian versions usually do have some sort of flavor fillings inside. Paderia offers 7 different flavors for their Malasadas.

Ube Malasada (Purple Yam):

The first Malasada (Portuguese Doughnut) shows off the thoughtfulness of fillings from other cultures with Ube, or the popular Filipino Purple Yam used in many desserts. This was the earthiest filling, but still creamy and with a natural sweetness.

Guava Malasada:

The Guava filled Malasada was our favorite! :heart: Sweet-tart, tropical, fragrant Guava notes, embraced by the airy, light Doughnut-esque exterior that didn’t taste oily or greasy. :blush:

Vanilla Bean Malasada:

The Vanilla Bean Malasada was also very good. A familiar, classic, silky Vanilla Custard filling. :slight_smile:

Coconut Malasada:

The Coconut version had light notes of the tropical fruit, but didn’t overwhelm the filling flavor as some versions are wont to do.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookie:

It might be hard to tell from the picture, but this is a massive Cookie! It’s probably about ~400 - 500% of the quantity you’d get from a standard Chips Ahoy Cookie in the supermarkets. :open_mouth: Taking a bite, crisped exterior gives way to a soft center, and you can taste the quality of the ingredients with imported Chocolate and quality Butter.

Portuguese Egg Tart:

But their standout item is the Portuguese Egg Tart: For many of us growing up in Southern California, the first impressions of Egg Tarts might’ve been linked with enjoying Dim Sum on Christmas Day (since everything else was closed). :slight_smile: But over the past few years there have been more and more standout Portuguese Egg Tarts that have popped up.

Paderia’s Portuguese Egg Tart might very well be near the top, served warm (you can request to make sure you get a warm / hot Egg Tart), a flaky crust gives way to a delicate, creamy Custard filling with light Vanilla notes. Absolutely delicious! :heart:

2nd Visit:

Strawberry Jamaica Infusion:

Another fun mashup, Paderia takes the familiar Mexican drink, Jamaica (Hibiscus Flower Tea) and infuses it with Strawberry flavors. This works pretty well, offsetting Jamaica’s usual floral sweet-tart with Strawberry sweet-tart.

Cinnamon Dusted & Guava Malasada:

To test consistency (and because it was just so delicious), we ordered the Guava Malasada again. Like the previous time, these Portuguese Doughnuts (Hawaiian-style) were fried perfectly light, airy and the Guava filling was a great piquant-sweet so as to not overwhelm the palate. :slight_smile:

Ensaymada (Plain) (Filipino Brioche):

While the Ensaymada (or Ensaïmada) was originally a creation from Spain, it propagated to the Philippines and Paderia captures that version with their Plain or Cheese-topped Ensaymada (Filipino Brioche).

Imagine a lightly sweet, buttery-topped, airy Brioche-like Pastry and you have Paderia’s Ensaymada.

Portuguese Egg Tart:

Thankfully this 2nd visit’s Portuguese Egg Tart was as good as the 1st time: Served warm-hot, a beautiful buttery flaky Pastry exterior gives way to an excellent, balanced Custard filling that is not overly-sweet like some versions. It is standout and worth seeking out for fans of great Egg Tarts. :heart: (@ipsedixit @attran99 @JeetKuneBao @paranoidgarliclover @A5KOBE and others)

Paderia Bakery turns out to be a welcome surprise of a Bakery focusing on delivering standout baked goods from around the world using quality ingredients like imported Chocolate and Butter. But most important is the execution and thankfully Paderia delivers in spades. Their selection of massive, Housemade Cookies are worth trying, the Ensaymada (Filipino Brioche) is a tasty, lighter offering compared to a classic American Cinnamon Roll, and their Malasadas (Portuguese / Hawaiian Doughnuts) in seven different fillings are worth a try, especially the Guava.

But if you only try one Pastry, it would have to be their standout Portuguese Egg Tart. Request it to be warmed up, and make sure to eat it immediately to enjoy the flaky light Pastry shell giving way to a wonderful Custard filling! One of the best in Southern California.

Paderia Bakehouse
18279 Brookhurst Suite #1
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
Tel: (714) 916-5977

10 Likes

The natas look good. Yes- too many of those 85°C/ Paris Baguette-like bakeries overloaded with sugar. The anal-retentive part of me wishes that they nailed the name (Padaria) along with the natas. :sweat_smile:

And good thing I don’t live anywhere near this place. I would have consumed way too many of those malasadas. And I will just hang out until they have a new batch of egg tarts coming out of the oven.

1 Like

Hi @sck,

Thanks! :slight_smile: Yah, we’re really happy with Paderia’s Portuguese Egg Tarts (really good balance of flavors). :slight_smile: One place I never got to try up where you’re at is Golden Gate Bakery. I actually tried going there like 3 or 4 times each time I went up north, but it was always closed(!). :frowning: (@ipsedixit gave me a website that actually tracks when Golden Gate is open or closed LOL, so I used that and it was always closed.) How are those Egg Tarts?

Hope you get to try Paderia when you visit next time. :slight_smile: (And I’ll write up a report later but there are another 2 or 3 standouts worth trying here as well.)

I think you need to try the cheese-topped ensaymada next time. The salty-sweet combination is much like a great kettle corn…except with aged cheddar. I adore it.

2 Likes

Hi @attran99,

Thanks for the recommendation. :slight_smile: That’s a great explanation of flavors; because at first, I was getting a little grossed out / unsure how Cheese and a “Cinnamon Roll-esque” Pastry would work together. :sweat_smile: But, like kettle corn! Aha. :slight_smile: Thanks.

I think they are pretty decent. But I don’t line up for them. When I am around Chinatown at night there are never any lines. And I will grab a few nice and hot. But I am sure you have something similar or better down there. For Portugese tarts, someone mentioned Mr. Bread on Taraval up here, although I’ve never had them. Something for you to compare against next time you are around.

3 Likes

Nice write up! I love malasadas and am still looking for the Leonard’s esque plain malasada option here on the mainland. Tarts sound great, will have to try this place out someday.

2 Likes