Pączki in the Bay Area?

My wife has decided she wants to get pączki sometime between now and Lent. Those were easy to get in NYC because there are still a couple of Polish neighborhoods there, but is there any bakery in the Bay Area that might have them? I don’t know if the Russian bakeries in SF have anything similar. Thanks.

1 Like

I’d try

and

and
https://laplandbakery.com/polish-donuts

2 Likes

Krapfen/ Berliner are available. That’s what is eaten in Austria, Germany and Switzerland during Carnival/ Fasching.

Same as Paçzki, although the Austrians are more keen on apricot and Poles tend to be keen on plum or rosehip fillings.

1 Like

Hahdough is the way to go for Berliner (pączki) - as good as back home

2 Likes

Aren’t they different? Berliner and pączki?

Not that I would turn down either.

There might be a difference to some people in North America.

I can’t tell the difference.

The Paçzki sold at Polish bakeries in Canada are often bigger than the krapfen I’ve bought in Austria.

Poles call their donuts Paçzki, some German-speakers call them Berliners, some Bavarians and Austrians call them Krapfen.

Berliners are called Bismarcks in the Prairies, ND, Minnesota, Montana, probably other states.

This Wiki blurb sounds like it was written by a Paçzki. I don’t think it’s so black and white, in terms of a good Paçzki necessarily having a richer dough than a good Berliner.

From what I gather, pączki often has some kind of alcohol in the dough.

I know it says that in the Wiki entry.

I don’t believe most Paçzki sold in Canada have any alcohol in the dough. They’re pretty common here in Ontario. I was at a bakery that har them yesterday, and they’re available at regular grocery stores now until Fat Tue ( Feb 13th this year).

Could be different elsewhere, or in some parts of Poland.

1 Like

Great, now I want paczki and the only way I’ll get them is to make them.

I will just have to wait for fastnacht day; they’re not the same, but close enough for jazz, as they say.

1 Like

They serve the same purpose. Fried dough before the Fast.

Yea, I know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol I should know you would know LOL.

Sorry for being a humourless pedant. :joy:

2 Likes