Oysters, oysters, oysters

The wife is calling for a night out for Oysters. Where are your favorite spots in Monmouth and Northern Ocean Counties? A variety of some east/west coast options an added bonus!

1 Like

Friends love the Asbury Oyster Bar in Convention Hall and they usually have a good selection available… I just can’t chime in personally, as I can’t eat oysters.

2 Likes

For atmosphere you can’t beat Rooneys or Kleins
Oyster selection is good
I found eating in the Oyster Bar it n Asbury very claustrophobic eating in the Arcade is not in my top 100 places to eat.

1 Like

Kleins. I always forget about Kleins. Thanks for the reminder.

3 Likes

It’s outside of where you asked about geographically about but in my opinion the best place to get a variety of good oysters in NJ is The Blue Point Grill in Princeton.

1 Like

Excellent rec and great oyster selection

1 Like

I too have a hankering for oysters! Must be served with mignonette. These were my faves:

• The Bonney Read, Asbury Park
  • Avenue, Long Branch, happy hour pre-Covid. No clue how it is now and am not likely to find out.
  • Beach Tavern, Monmouth Beach, happy hour pre-Covid. Don’t know how it is now. I mean, I know how the place is now and I’m not a fan.
2 Likes

Oyster House in Philly…worth the drive. This was last Saturday.

2 Likes

I’m sold

1 Like

In South Jersey there’s Sweet Amelia, an oyster farm and market/restaurant of some renown. The farm, not open to the public, is located in the Delaware Bay outside of Cape May. The market/restaurant is located in Newfield, NJ.

Sweet Amelia has an interesting history, highlighted a year or so ago in A Philadelphia Magazine article.

Haven’t been to the restaurant (it’s a bit of a hike from Central and North Jersey) but would like to give it a try someday as it looks very interesting.

3 Likes

Wife craved oysters around lunch time today.
Inspired by this thread we ended up at Klein’s.
They only have Blue Point.

1 Like

@ycf04 Thanks for the info on Kleins. A blue points only selection is what I want to avoid. Still, looks like a nice lunch.

1 Like

The three oysters closest to the Negroni were Sweet Amalias and the were so good we ordered another dozen.

• The Bonney Read, Asbury Park ( I totally forgot about this place, but yes I’ve had excellent oysters here)
  • Avenue, Long Branch, happy hour pre-Covid. No clue how it is now and am not likely to find out. (Similar to you it’s been years, but their raw bar was excellent)
  • Beach Tavern, Monmouth Beach, happy hour pre-Covid. Don’t know how it is now. I mean, I know how the place is now and I’m not a fan. (Again, I can’t stand the place, but they use to have $1. Oysters on Happy Hour, not sure if they still do )

Good local list!!

3 Likes

These Sweet Amalia oysters are the best oysters on the planet. Period.

5 Likes

WOW! Those are some big beautiful oysters!! :oyster::oyster:

1 Like

Nice! Had some tasty oysters (Pickle Point, PEI) at Pascal & Sabine in Asbury. Not crazy about the jarred horseradish, but the mignonette was on point.

1 Like