Oyster shooters- what's the point?

I can agree but assuming you chew the oyster and not just shoot it down it can be quite tasty

I chew my oysters . Yum .

2 Likes

An oyster shoot can be a shot of amazing flavors. Just how you approach it

Speaking of “What’s the Point?”

Bloody Caesar is the one true bloody!

@VikingKaj @Salsailsa There’s something about oysters and tabasco that’s just magical. I like to mix it up. One with mignonette, one with tabasco, one with cocktail, etc.

I enjoy a good shooter now and again. They have to be crafted right, proper attention needs to be paid to the components. Problem is a lot of them are just oysters drenched in cocktail sauce. One time I had a Japanese style uni shooter with a quail egg yolk in it which was delicious in the most disgusting way.

The shooters I am referring to are an oyster in a shot glass with some form of alcohol added- was that what the uni one was?? If so, what type of alcohol did they put in it?

Me too !

So, in honor of the season, here is another good shooter:

Yippie ka yay …

1 Like

The Rusty Pelican on Westheimer in Houston, circa 1984. Friday night.

A promotional oyster shooting contest. Six shot glasses with a freshly shucked oysters, and dribble of spicy cocktail sauce and filled to the brim with gold tequila. And a mug of beer to wash it down with.

I remember entering the contest.

And I remember waking up the next morning with a t-shirt that said “I won the Oyster Shooting Contest at the Rusty Pelican”. Nothing in between.

Good times.

4 Likes

At least you got a tee shirt! Most of my stories like this end with me in the Dr’s office in the morning getting a shot of penicillin.

3 Likes

Sounds more like a prize than a contest.

Too funny! Did it keep going after six, or did the six shots finish you?

No, it was a contest. There were three other “contestants” and we were seated on a low riser they sometimes used for live music. Usually it just had tables on it. I was offered up as a sacrifice by my co-workers who paid the $10 or $15 dollar entry fee.

I was told that two of the other entrants failed to finish and that I had downed my six shooters and chugged the draft before the other guy had finished three shooters. Apparently, I was a machine.

I’m pretty sure I was done at that point. My roommate drove me home and dumped me in my room hanging the t-shirt over the chair. I can assure you however that I had clearly already had a few or they never would have talked me into the contest in the first place.

I used to drink a little.

But before that, I used to drink a LOT.

3 Likes

So even though you didn’t end up wearing the shirt, did you end up wearing the oysters?

Certainly a fair question.

Nah. I was the good kind of drunk.

I always just fell asleep.

1 Like

So rather than a shooter, today we have a cooter:

I also love oysters and shooters. Had them the first time last year at a fair on Tilghman Island,Md.
even without the booze they were great. Can’t find in central Jersey

Help cover Hungry Onion's costs when you shop at Amazon!

Honghe Hani Rice Terraces, Yuanyang County, Yunnan
Credit: inkelv1122, Flickr