Outrageous Shrimp & Grits at Harlan Publick (Norwalk, CT)

Cousins were in town and went to Harlan Publick in SoNo. My previous visits since Executive Chef Kamal Rose started serving his Caribbean inspired cuisine have been great. I wrote a while ago about the place, Caribbean inspired cuisine in a pub setting, great vibe.

We immediately ordered drinks and while we looked at the rest of the menu we shared an order of Black Bean Hummus, which was served with pico de gallo and sweet plantain chips. Everyone loved the combination and we needed additional chips to enjoy every bit. We next shared three other outstanding apps…Spicy Tuna Tartare, Jerk Chicken Empanadas and Gulf Shrimp Tempura. The shrimp disappeared quickly, crispy and slathered in a sweet-spicy sauce, and the tuna was gone in the blink of an eye.

At Chef Rose’s suggestion I order the shrimp and grits for my entrée. It was served with crispy prosciutto, shrimp gravy, and parsley pesto. When it arrived, the shrimp were nestled in the grits with pieces of the bright red prosciutto sitting on top. A ring of the red shrimp sauce encircled the presentation. My first bite was unbelievably delicious. The shrimp offered great flavor and then the other ingredients elevated the combination to the best S&Gs I have tasted. My cousin, who was not a fan of grits, absolutely loved it as well.

We also enjoyed each of the four desserts, the chocolate pretzel and the crisp were standouts and we really enjoyed the brulée and the rice pudding.