Osteria Giulia [Toronto] [Yorkville]

Having a dinner date with friends who live in Yorkville made us finally tackle the reservation hassle that Osteria Giulia offers up. Basically each day is available on Open Table starting at midnight 14 days before. When we have checked previously, typical dinner times were all booked up. This time we managed to snag a 5:30 reservation.

We are Rob Rossi fans, having really enjoyed most meals at Giulietta (there was a scallop dish once that was off). The food at Giulia maintains this standard overall, although it is pricier, likely due to the neighbourhood (pastas in the $30-40 range and the cheapest secondi is $65). Atmosphere is kinda on the loud side, though we could maintain a conversation. Service is attentive and unobtrusive.

Although they have some intriguing sounding cocktails, we were enticed by a large vini macerati section on the wine list. With the menu having a Ligurian lilt, we opted for one of the two Ligurian options: Cinque Terre, Sassarini, (albarolo, bosco, vermentino). It was a fun mixture of citrus, dried fruit, passionfruit, whiffs of mushroom, and a bit of butterscotch.

We started with the Focaccia di Recco: stracchino-stuffed Ligurian flatbread with olio novello and sea salt. It was served in a traditional copper pan was simple and gorgeous.

Priotizing the pastas on the menu, we ordered only one antipasto: a veal carpaccio that riffs off vitello tonnato - thin slices of veal with a tonnato sauce made from albacore tuna, topped with caper leaves, fried capers, lemon and olive oil. Lots of umami flavours balanced by the lemon and capers.

We had trouble whittling down the pasta choices, so in the end we simply ordered 4 of them. Trofie al Pesto Genovese featured perfectly chewy trofie with a pure and vibrantly herbal pesto, topped with pine nuts.

Next up was Ravioli Doppi - supple packages filled with ricotta and tender lobster, topped with corn, more lobster, and bottarga. Although all the pastas were great, this was perhaps the most wonderful.

Lorighittas al Mare had hand braided rings that looked remarkably like the tender squid rings that topped them, along with bay scallops, chili, garlic, and anchovy. Plenty of funkiness from the anchovies and a nice kick from the chili.

Last but not least was the Trenette alle Vongole: Ligurian linguine, Georgia Strait clams, white wine, brown butter, seaweed, and pangrattato. Simple and classic flavours, well-married.

Our friends had the mixed seafood grill and we got to sample much of it. Tonight’s version featured squid, octopus, striped bass, halibut cheeks, smoked scallops, and a large tiger shrimp. The grilling was very good, with appealing char and yet tender results. Flavouring was nothing more than lemon, olive oil, and salt.

Both desserts we tried were lovely. Millefoglie al Cocco - white chocolate and coconut mille-feuille with passionfruit and pineapple cream blobs between the layers - light and tangy.

Monte Bianco - chestnut cream, vanilla mascarpone, almond, and frutti di bosco - a very fancy tower made of chestnut cream strings around the outside, stuffed with mascarpone and a blob of fruitt di bosco, with an almond cookie at the base and a candied chestnut and chocolate ‘Giulia’ on the top. Intricate and delightful.

Our friends ordered the tiramisu, which they were happy with.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing. How did you like mille-feuille?
I have been meaning to try as live a block away. Wanted to go in for dessert and maybe a meal soon. Friends who went didn’t enjoy their dessert so wanted another opinion

1 Like

We liked the mille-feuille a lot - it was my wife’s favourite of the two. The sour tang of the passionfruit balanced it well.

I love your posts, but dude you really have to take the flash off your camera. That mixed seafood grill looks like a Cronenberg storyboard.

Trust me, it looked worse without flash. I often take the photo with and without and see which one is better. So many restaurants have low lighting and then the food has no contrast and is a grainy image. I still prefer using my camera, but I am not going to lug that to every dinner out.