[Osaka, Japan] Kaiseki dinner at Hanagatami, The Ritz-Carlton

The Ritz-Carlton Osaka has perhaps one of the best-kept dining secret in Osaka - its sleek, sophisticated Hanagatami, all modern-Zen, with the dining tables and counters all facing its Ryoanji-inspired garden.

The kaiseki menu we had this evening:

1. Lotus root tofu, tosa vinegar jelly, sea urchin and okra.

2. Steamed Amadai fish in sake, tofu skin, Japanese leek, kidney beans and yuzu peel.

3. Hay-smoked bonito, sea bream and scallop.

4. Hamo in dashi stick with egg, citrus sudachi sauce and shiso bloom.

1. Grilled rockfish with kinome, sweetfish, braised mugwort with fried tofu, braised clam sushi, braised potato, grilled squid with sea urchin, and shallots pickled in red wine-flavoured sweet vinegar.

2. Prawn and wild plants tempura, served with lemon wedge and green tea salt.

3. Steamed rice from Tottori, with ginger and shirasu fish, served with Akadshi miso soup and Japanese pickles.

1. Kashiwa mochi, yoghurt mousse with kiwifruit, fresh pineapple.

2. Matcha green tea - perfect way to end a kaiseki meal.

Costs about JPY20,000 per head with drinks.

Address
Hanagatami
The Ritz-Carlton Osaka
2-5-25 Umeda Kita-ku
Osaka, 530-0001 Japan
Tel: +816-6343-7020
Operating hours: 11.30am-2.30pm (lunch), 5.30pm- 9.30pm (dinner) daily

6 Likes

Hello Peter,

Thanks so much for your delicious reports on Kyoto and Osaka (and Singapore). My wife and I are eagerly looking forward to Kyoto and Osaka later this month. Your coverage inspired me to learn how to save web pages so I can study on my ipad in airplane mode.

We are leaving for Singapore tomorrow, and only staying for five nights. My wife already has our itinerary mapped out, so I hope to meet you on one of our future visits.

My very first meal in Singapore 20+ years ago was curry fish head. I was quite astounded to see a fish head dish proudly offered in a restaurant setting. I think it might have been at Muthu’s. Can you suggest a good restaurant for curry fish head now?

For Indian-style curry fish-head, try Samy’s at Dempsey Road:
http://www.samyscurry.com/contactus.html

For Singaporean-Chinese-style curry fish-head (which, IMHO, tastes so much better), try Ocean - its main Toa Payoh branch is good.
http://www.oceancurryfishhead.com.sg/contactus.html

1 Like

These two sounds absolutely delicious! Got hungry just imagining how they taste.

It seems like they have kaiseki during lunch as well. Am I right to read that its cheaper during lunch? http://www.ritzcarlton.com/content/dam/the-ritz-carlton/hotels/asia-pacific/japan/osaka/pdf/HGKaisekiLunch1.pdf

Which kaiseki dinner option was this?

There were 3 kaiseki menus: Yamabuki, Shohbu and Hanagatami. I opted for the Yamabuki.

Thanks for the rec, had a fun delicious meal at Ocean for our last dine in Singapore.

The much needed Vegies were a great complement. Loved the ong choy with sambal , not familiar with sambal at all. Will buy a jar once we get home.

We did Muthu’s Saturday night cause Ocean closed weekend nights, was good, Ocean is more to our taste.

1 Like

I’m so glad you made it to Ocean. It’s the one place I’d choose for fish head curry if I had a choice.

1 Like