Osaka. Eat Until You Drop, again.

Back in Osaka for a final week in Japan. Very much enjoyed our previous two weeks in Fukuoka, Kyushu Island is now firmly on our rotation.

First Osaka dinner at Torikizoku. Simple comfort food at affordable prices with tablet ordering and invariably friendly efficient service. This Yakitori Izakaya chain is ubiquitous throughout Japan and a regular visit for us.

Started off with a round of Highballs. EVERY item, food and beverage is pegged at ¥360/$2.41, regardless of provenance or size!?!? We tapped in for MEGA size, of course. In the interest of science, ordered a “regular” size to taste any difference in alcohol content. No discernible strength difference. Hmmmm

Refreshing crunchy Cabbage to balance the upcoming meat and fried food. All you care to eat, gratis.

Fried Chicken Knees (cartilage), like popcorn but different……

Rice set. Rice, Miso Soup, Tsukemono, and a local Egg.

Tori Karaage, Fried Chicken.

Yakitori (Chicken Thigh) and Stuffed Pepper.

Seasonal Gin drink, I had a Mega Beer. Yes, $2.42.

Seasonal Autumn Trio of Mushrooms. Deep fried Enoki topped with a runny egg. Interesting, not life changing.

Deep fried lightly dusted Mushroom, quite delicious. A Potato, Chicken, Seafood Salad topped with Nori and Mentaiko Sauce. With an embedded barely cooked Egg. Lots going on here.

DW gotta have her Chicken Butt.

There were a couple of additional items and adult beverages. ~$48.00 usd all in. Gonna miss Japan.

12 Likes

Lunch at Tori Soba Zagin, original shop.

1 Chome-19-2 Edobori, Nishi Ward, Osaka, 550-0002, Japan

About a dozen counter seats at this quintessential Soba Noodle shop. Vending machine ticket ordering out front, no English.

We ordered two sets to share. Tsukemen (Dry Noodle) and one as Soup Noodle. Noodle shop reputations are built on their SOUP!!. Here, smooth Chicken Soup is served foamy, stick blended as the final step to service.

The Tsukemen is served dry, topped with a piece of Pork ChaSiu and a slice of Chicken. Fried Burdock Curls and a dab of of Yuzu adds a Citrus note and a crispy component. The frothy Chicken Soup brings it all together.

Interestingly, our sets came with Beef Sushi. Can’t recall ever having beef nigiri with noodles before. DW liked this twist more than I.

I started with the Soup Noodle set. Same ingredients, soup presentation. I liked both the Dry and Soup methods, so did DW.

The hostess and counter folks were all working hard in sync, while contributing to a continuous stream of happy good natured banter. The sounds and ambience of a working Noodle counter adds much to the total enjoyment of the meal.

Rain was coming down hard as we exited. Didn’t seem to deter the next batch of eager diners.

11 Likes

We seek out Yakitori Nambantei whenever we are in Osaka. Good drinks, good food, good prices and a fun Japanese pub atmosphere. Always look forward to playing here.

Japan, 〒542-0076 Osaka, Chuo Ward, Nanba, 4 Chome−5−7 PLAZA レスパル

Very popular with the blue suit and briefcase set, we staked out our bar seats at opening and relaxed as the joint quickly fill up. My Beer, her Highball and our Otoshi Edamame starts the evening.

• Grilled Shishito topped with wavy Katsuobushi, shaved Bonito Flakes.
  • Tsukune, the Yakitori must-order, Chicken Meatball Skewers.

Yakitori literally translates to Grilled Chicken. Then Chicken it is!!

• Sunagimo - Gizzard
  • Bonjiri - Tail (always a double order, a DW favorite)
  • Nankotsu - Cartilage, seems to be from sternum. Chicken knees are also used.

Straying from chicken parts.

• Benkon Nikuzume - Lotus Root grilled with Minced Chicken Stuffing.
  • Piman Nikuzume - Japanese Green Pepper stuffed with same.

• Yaki Onigiri - Grilled Rice Ball. Smokey with a slightly charred crust.

• Tsukemono - Pickles to cleanse the palate.
  • Salad - a welcomed refresher.
  • Karaage - because…Fried Chicken!!!

An enjoyable evening per usual. Leisurely stroll back to our hotel. Wonderful night to be out, stopping every few meters to wistfully browse this menu or voyeur what people are eating in that restaurant.

Japan. Love her.

7 Likes

This is my kind of yakitori joint. Thanks for sharing. Question: how common is smoking in yakitori-ya in Japan?

Our friends from Concord were here in Osaka last week. We turned them on to this place and they loved this yakitori as well. Be forewarned, no English menu.

In our three weeks here, not a single smoker in any establishment. Even less than 5 years ago, smoking was not uncommon, especially in an izakaya. We were surprised to see ashtrays on the table at an izakaya in Fukuoka last week, but there were no signs of active tobacco smoking that we could discern.

3 Likes

As opposed to inactive tobacco smoking?

When I was here last, this stickman was definitely ACTIVELY smoking. :slight_smile:

I suppose any lesser level may be categorized as “inactive”??

5 Likes

I was thinking chewing tobacco.

But, um, that would be kind of gross in a restaurant. Or just gross generally.

2 Likes

We have a fading memory of once finding grilled steak nigiri at a sushi place with boat conveyor. Somehow it sadly wasn’t there the next visit or two.

1 Like

Needed some Tempura!! Two prime seats at the at the head of a 20 seat bar within splatter distance of the Fry Master.

Ordered 2 sets, the House & some other one for variety.

My Biru was served and we availed ourselves of the countertop jars of Brined Squid and Tsukemono of Kombu/Radish/Bird’s Eye.

The Tempura Chef was a pleasure to watch, a man with a job and a mission. Bring it on! Seconds from the Rice/Sesame/Veggie Oil mix, beautiful.

Turns out our chef spoke perfect English!! Half Japanese/Dutch, he had the accent and the demeanor of a Californian, while showing the respect and professionalism of the Japanese. His recommendations for the condiments and procedures, insightful and much appreciated!!

The hits flowed: Chicken Tender, Aji (Horse Mackerel), Squid, Oyster, Eggplant and more. White Miso with table zested Lemon Rind was a seasonal specialty.

The best? Tempura EGG!! Always a favorite. Added the Dashi/Shoyu as advised.

Nori Tempura simple and tasty.

A sprinkle of the special salt to balance the sweetness of the Sweet Potato. Another level.

I’d had Kakiage (mixed chopped Veggies) before with Shrimp/Scallop. Version here with Beef. Didn’t love this.

We were about done when DW finally noticed two items on the board. Mentaiko, my fav. Shirako (Fish Milt), her weakness. Fresh from the cauldron.

Delicious fun meal. Kai, the chef, graciously offered to give us the name of some of his favorite restaurants. Then he got slammed. We’ll be sure to take him up on his offer when we come back in February. :wink:

10 Likes

Love all your Japan posts. Do you have any recs for Sapporo? Or for any place in between Tokyo and Sapporo?

1 Like

How have I lived this long and NEVER had this?

1 Like