Options

Will they name a grade school after a dead billionaire?

1 Like

There’s only one way to find out.

Only if he was vegan.

#BringItBackOnTopic

But isn’t the topic ultimately ‘options’?

1 Like

Ashlandia . Hilarious. I’m stopping for lunch in Ashlandia . I will never call it anything else after hearing that. While on my way to dreaded Medford for who knows what .

1 Like

The space shuttle was built by the low bidder and managed by the government. Private industry may do better.

Your math is wrong. It’s a 1:67.5 chance of a flight coming back, or a 1.5 percent chance of a flight not coming back. As noted, those chances don’t apply, necessarily, to a different program. GIGO.

I wonder how the food on the private flights compares to that on the NASA and Soyuz flights?

I will add a corollary question.

How come if we are having a dinner and inviting people over and there is a vegetarian/vegan coming, we must prepare a vegetarian/vegan alternative. But if said vegetarian/vegan is having the dinner, no meat alternative is provided?

As to space flights, as soon as I can afford one I am going. Today we all think of air travel as nothing special or for the wealthy. Its open to all. But when air travel first started, that wasn’t the case. That glamorous PanAm flying clipper wasn’t for the common traveler. I remember reading a story that when commercial jet travel between the US and Europe first started, the cost of a round trip ticket was comparable to the cost of a car. How many people would jet off anywhere if your round trip was $10-20k? We would be going on about how elitist it was to fly anywhere. Still is in some ways.

1 Like

Because you choose to be more hospitable. As I mentioned upthread, it was a similar issue with one member of the extended family. Now we often suggest eating out rather than cooking in - although that is not without its own significant financial consequences, as some family members do not have the income to afford restaurant meals, which usually means someone has to pay for their food and drink. This gets tricky as the one person with the restricted diet is also one of the minority whi is helping to pay for the others.

As for flying, in the UK, it was very elitest until the late 1960s/early 1970s when reasonably priced package holidays became available. Nowadays, there’s pretty much and expectation that folk will take a foreign holiday (low paid people such as the family members I mention excluded). We had our first holiday to America in 1980 and were very much “pathfinders” amongst friends and colleagues.

I know this quite well. I sold Snap-On tools to the petrochemical industry, the military and NASA who wouldn’t touch them due to cost. They used cheap GSA tools. The only exception was the pool in building 29 where the astronauts trained for EVA, Extravehicular activity. They also bought special tools used only by NASA and could cost up to five thousand dollars per tool. Cha ching for me.

I was at a Denny’s out side NASA on the payphone, yes one of those, making a sales appointment with one of the contractors. Denny’s was the Cadillac of pay phones and a mecca for outside salespeople.

When I got back in the car the radio said the Challenger had exploded. It was a gut punch for the Clear Lake area of Houston where the astronauts lived and trained.

Unfortunately in Houston we have parks and schools named after deceased astronauts and vehicles such as the Challenger.

1 Like

Folks, this thread has gone off the political rails. I’m going to lock it now.

5 Likes