Openings/Closings - Q2 2024 (Boston/New England)

That one hurts a lot. Almost every restaurant and bar I enjoyed in my younger years is gone.

1 Like

I definitely let loose several expletives when I saw the news.

I read about this too. Oof, I have memories of this when they first opened because we used to work right at that corner of Tremont and Beacon Sts. This was at first a quiet little haunt that we liked to head to for lunch or after work chilling. Their food was always way better than you would expect from a basement bar. It really exploded in popularity after I changed jobs. Sad to see it go.

1 Like

Wow, I don’t follow the Portland scene as closely, even though I love that city dearly and all its wonderful restaurants. Duckfat was one of my first dining experiences in Portland. We had Hugo’s later that evening for dinner, and had one of my most memorable meals there. Good for them for retiring; I hope the new keepers of Duckfat keep it going at the same level.

1 Like

Otto on Walnut Street in Newtonville is now open. Looking forward to reports.

1 Like

We really miss Hugo’s. It was our single favorite restaurant anywhere when Rob owned it. We never liked the change in vibe that came with the new ownership, especially sitting at the bar, but not interacting with the staff. We usually end up at Honey Paw, or Central Provisions when we eat out in Portland these days, though the meal we had recently at Twelve reminded us of the good old days at Hugo’s.

2 Likes

We felt the same way about Hugo’s. How encouraging to hear that Twelve might be able to scratch the same itch. It’s going on my list.

1 Like

Twelve does a 5 course tasting menu, that you can also order ala carte. Every dish we had was spectacular, and even as a carnivore, the opening dish of a braised and fried sweet potato in dashi was my favorite dish of the night. Not cheap (not that Hugo’s was either), but I’m looking forward to returning soon.

3 Likes

La Paloma in Quincy is closing after service on June 29th. This place is an institution locally for some, given that it’s been in business for 40+ years and for a long stretch might have been the only Mexican food option, outside of a Taco Bell.

This was not the place for authentic and interesting Mexican cuisine, but it filled a hole for those who wanted fajitas and a lot of margaritas and tequila. I’ve lived in Quincy for 30+ years now and have never been. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Hubba’s Real Pit BBQ truck is Westford returned for the season in June. The founder’s son is continuing the legacy of his father, who passed away unexpectedly this past winter. These nice folks have deservedly earned a local following.

Theirs is a lunchtime business (Wednesday-Saturday, 11:00-3:00 or earlier close if they sell out). My usual order is a pint of beef brisket to reheat for dinner(s) later. Yesterday I picked up a rack of pork ribs for the first time.

Great bark on these and rich meat. I’m guessing the ribs hold their lusciousness better because the membrane on the bottom of the ribs wasn’t removed? Comes off very easily at the table though.

Note: Hubba’s is closed for vacation this 4th of July week and they return on July 10, 2024. I find that their Facebook page is the best place to check for any schedule updates.

5 Likes