Openings/Closings Q1 2024 [Boston/New England]

The Seaport outpost of Yume ga aru kara - local udon favorite - has opened I hear as of last Monday. It’s in the Suprette on Seaport Blvd. If all goes well, I will try to hit the spot within the next 2 weeks.

5 Likes

Made it to Pescadore in Kenmore Square for the first time, and was wowed by the seafood. Unfortunately our waiter told that the restaurant is shutting down permanently in the coming weeks.

6 Likes

Finally made it to the new Seaport location of Yume ga arukara (YGA). It’s technically still a soft opening per their website, but there was a 45 minute wait on Thursday when we got there! It probably moved a bit quicker than that, but be prepared if you’re planning to drop by.

I’ve never been to their original location, and have never had chilled udon before. DC and I both had their chilled spicy udon with beef. So delicious! Loved the chew and texture of the noodles, and the spicy level - while wasn’t super spicy - did add just enough kick to the noodles. Great flavor to the sauce. I like the open kitchen set up, so if you sit at the bar, you can watch them prepare the food. Not a very big space at all, which contributes to the wait time. The wait staff will come out and take your order though so that once you sit down, your food comes almost immediately.

8 Likes

Similar system to Porter Square, although my experiences are all pre 2020. Did they assign you seating as they do at Porter so that they know who gets what order?

[There used to be a deli at the University of Chicago (it may still be there) where the lunchtime line stretched over a couple of blocks. They took your order in line as you were steadily moving, and by the time you got to the cash register it was ready for you. ]

2 Likes

By assign, they let us in and pointed to where we should sit. :grin: Makes sense, because our noodles did come within 5 minutes.

Quilo’s Taqueria in Arlington MA opened a couple of weeks ago, 162 Massachusetts Ave. Roughly across the street from Boonnoon and a block or two from the Capitol theater for those of you who know the area.

Write-up in the Globe about a week ago gave it a rave review if you have access:

5 Likes

Totally missed this. I live in ARL and my kid goes to school right around the corner. :upside_down_face:Thanks for the heads up.

4 Likes
1 Like

Just read the news about the fire in Chinatown last night. Started at Great BBQ on the first floor, before it spread up to the roof. While no official word yet, it looks bad in the photos they shared. They will likely have to close up for a while. The place has pretty good roast meats, but it was definitely a little grimy, hole in the wall. Maybe this will be the perfect time to renovate.

2 Likes

Forgot to post about Hometown Rice Rolls & Dumplings, now open in Wollaston at 669 Hancock St. Haven’t tried this place yet, but when I peered in the tables were full. It’s fairly small space, and they specialize in (duh) rice rolls - filled and plain - and various dumplings, including soup dumplings. They also had a few types of congee on their very small menu. If anyone has tried this place, would love to know your thoughts.

4 Likes

Bonchon by the Stop & Shop off Newport Ave in North Quincy is now officially open. KFC addicts take note.

3 Likes

Passing through Newtonville I noticed Donut Villa is no longer, and signs indicate the site will become an outpost of Otto (the Portland, ME pizza chain).

3 Likes

We have an outpost in Arlington and it was not good the 2 times we’ve been. Or rather, my then 8-year old liked it and the adults didn’t. I promised him we would give them another try but I’m not optimistic.

1 Like

Seasonal opening: Kimball Farm in Westford is open for ice cream (only) as of March 28. Proof is in the peanut butter butterfinger ice cream now in our freezer.

The Seafood Shack and other parts of the Kimball-sphere don’t open until sometime in April. April opening days for other locations too. The Kimball Farm website will have updates.

5 Likes

Hi-Rise Sweets quietly opened in the old EH Chocolatier space (145 Huron, Cambridge) in February. They are only open Fri-Sun at the moment but plan a bigger opening splash and longer hours in April or May.

It’s a bitter-sweet event for me, and I don’t only refer to their excellent chocolate frostings. I miss EH Choc and H-R Sw does not fill the void they’ve left behind. Plus with the H-R mothership a minute away (walking), there’s inevitable overlap. However, the extra facilities have allowed H-R to expand their bagged cookie offerings (we love both forms of their chocolate cookies, their ginger snaps and their ginger-almond thins – but nothing they offer is bad) and to really get into iced cakes (previously appearing only very rarely). All versions of their chocolate cake have been terrific and their Italian Cream cake is superb.

4 Likes

Bayberry Beer Hall in Providence, RI apparently shuttered its doors on Feb. 25th. Too bad, I was only there once, last year, but I did enjoy it and would have gladly eaten there again.

There IS a rather cryptic web page that indicates that the restaurant has a new owner and will be introducing a ‘new culinary concept.’ Hmmmmm…

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Openings/Closings - Q2 2024 (Boston/New England)

Isn’t it time for a new thread? Openings/Closings Q2 2024??

I’ve just started a new thread here for Q2:

1 Like

Don’t go.

[Shortest review ever?]

4 Likes