Openings/Closings Q1 2024 [Boston/New England]

Please post here for January, February and March 2024 openings and closings in the Boston/New England area. (I’ll move 2024 posts from Q4 '23 over here for continuity.)

3 Likes

The “new” Ritu Ki Rasoi by Mehfil announced that it now has online ordering and delivery via GrubHub, with DoorDash and Uber Eats in the offing as well. I failed to place an order because of the software. As I usually do when placing an online delivery order, I add appealing-sounding items to my cart as I peruse the menu, then remove the ones that lost the competition. The GrubHub checkout system did not.allow deletion (changing quantity to zero did nothing). It almost took less time to make a soup meal than redoing the cart would have.

(post deleted by author)

The fish market at Courthouse Seafood on Cambridge Street will be closing later this week (the restaurant will remain open). Another tough loss for East Cambridge. While New Deal sometimes has better quality fish, Courthouse provided better value.

Meanwhile across town, Basta Pasta on Western Ave is for sale. This is in addition to the recent news that Coast Cafe one block over is also for sale. It is distressing to see long time restaurants that offer good value potentially go by the wayside.

7 Likes

I am sad to hear that the Courthouse fish market is closing. We didn’t get there often enough. I think I remember reading somewhere that the owners were retiring/had some need to sell and were looking for a buyer. I’m sorry that they didn’t find one.

1 Like

Yes, very. Basta Pasta, in particular, had been a staple for many years.

2 Likes

Oh dear! Basta Pasta was a mainstay for lunch (I worked at a biotech in the old Polaroid building for a few years). This makes me quite sad, but maybe the owners are retiring after many years of good honest food in a humble and cozy space. Places like that are dying out. Maybe they will simply change hands?

1 Like

Saw that Flat Top Johnny’s has reopened in a new space, as reported by Boston Restaurant Talk. New location is in an MIT building at 238 Main Street.

Though we don’t have occasion to get into Kendall Sq. these days, it’s nice to see a long-time business return.

5 Likes

didn’t see a 2024 topic, so putting this here. can’t say i’m surprised,

eta: should read last boston…’

last au bon pan closes

3 Likes

Fantastic news Been waiting!

2 Likes

The Bread Shop at 411 Main Street in Wakefield is temporarily closing on Monday, 1/22/24 due to an inability to come to an agreement with their landlord on a new lease. But it looks like they’ve got new digs in the works.

I’m assuming their website URL will change once they move as well: https://www.breadshop411.com/

3 Likes

Oof! That one sucks. While New Deal was my go to when I worked in the area, they were a very good back up option for what I couldn’t find. I’m glad to hear the restaurant stays, but the fish market was another gem.

3 Likes

I read that there is one more location in Kenmore somewhere? Haven’t been in that vicinity for a while, so not sure how accurate that is. Sad either way! For a while in the 80s, that was maybe the only place with a somewhat respectable croissant. My sister worked here in her teen years (manning that disgusting outpost in the tunnel at Downtown Crossing station).

3 Likes

Casa Loca in Westwood has apparently closed - website is dead and it’s no longer listed as a location on The Local’s website (locations in Wellesley, Waltham, and Wayland). I’m super disappointed, as this was one of the few Mexican restaurants we’d found with reliably good food AND a gluten-free fryer so I could fill up on chips. :frowning:

3 Likes

Reports in the last week that Ciao! Pizza and Pasta will be opening a second location at 688 Broadway Somerville, MA (where Eat at Jumbo’s used to be). If it actually comes to fruition I will be beyond excited! Close to my house and historically one of my favorite pizza producers in the Boston area (although I haven’t eaten there in a while since I am rarely in that area.)

6 Likes

Well that’s bittersweet. I spend untold hours at the Harvard Sq ABP in the mid 80s sucking down massive iced coffees. We still have some down here in the DC area (including Dulles) but it’s just another chain.

2 Likes

this is exciting. anyone know a timeline?

That would be great! I like their pizza, but the Chelsea location is somewhat of a PITA. With post covid traffic, it’s challenging to get to, there is limited seating and the pizza doesn’t travel well. We have eaten it in the car, but that gets old.

3 Likes

Shiki in Coolidge Corner closed permanently in December. Hops & Scotch on Beacon Street is closed as well, allegedly for renovations. Time will tell.

3 Likes

And so much more variety as well. Been shopping there for a long time.

2 Likes