Onion dip trending!

If you mean “ground beef with his soup mix”
…he likes hamburgers made with ground beef and a LOT of beefy onion (I think) soup mix. What is SOP?

It’s not with soup mix, but he also likes what he calls “mince” made with Kenji’s puffy taco filling recipe. It might work as a “living room something” , and I can eat it too.

Taco filling

For many people it’s a crucial element in brisket. It became enough of a Jewish thing (postwar I guess) that there is a Kosher version as well as a Kosher for Passover version of Lipton’s OSM .

Loved Lipton Onion Soup and the California onion dip as a kid; I still keep some on the shelves for a couple recipes.

If any of you haven’t had it or are so inclined to make it, try Ina Garten’s carmelized onion dip. I reduce the butter, oil and pepper slightly; you can also sub lower fat dairy if you want. It is, simply put, the best onion dip I’ve ever tasted. Disappears at parties.

1 Like

I recommend this tweaked version of Ina’s recipe, it fixed the issues I too had had with the original recipe.

1 Like

Thanks for posting Gretchen, I’ll give the W sauce a try sometime. I too cut the onions smaller because I hate those long awkward strands!

totally bummed me out first time I made it and then I thought, “well what did you THINK was going to happen?” lol.

1 Like

Yeah & if we believe in fairy tales, onions take only 15-20 minutes to carmelize - yeah right! A lot of recipes need to be rewritten/reworked to be truly useful. I will typically cut the authors a lot of slack for baking times however.

2 Likes

Dinner! The parsley is the veg.

Adjusted with comments and other recipes. Including Ina’s tweaked.

So many reviews out there about how good it looks and who plans to try it.

Similar

5 Likes

Love it @shrinkrap, completely sufficient for a hot summer evening. Plenty of nutrition in the parsley, as well as beneficial fiber too! :smiley_cat: BTW, I always use Ina’s recipe, but tweaked. If remembering correctly, reduce the oo and butter a little, along with the salt and black pepper. Can’t remember if there’s a little cayenne in there too.

1 Like

This thread popped up on my feed. I saw the reference to Ina Garten’s caramelized dip but couldn’t find it. So I made this up and it worked really well.

Cut a large onion in half and then one slice not quite to the root (like the first cut when dicing) and sliced into quarter rings. Dumped all that in a slow cooker on low for ten hours. Caramelized onions go on a cutting board to cool. Mixed sour cream, some briefly sauteed garlic, cayenne pepper, S&P, and chives (finely chopped). No cream cheese, no honey - sweet enough from the onions. Chopped up the onions and mixed everything together. I may mess with herbs and spices a little but overall I’m happy with the product and the effort.

5 Likes

I was wondering about caramelizing in a slow cooker. You can do just one onion? What size slow cooker?

My slow cooker is either four or six quarts. If it matters I can look at it. I’ve definitely done one onion. Up to five and still had room. I’ve caramelized onions on the stove top and the slow cooker wins hands down.

1 Like

I think “4 or 6” works. I may have both. I know one is way smaller than the other. Thanks!

Not trying to be a contrarian. I’ve never carmelized onions in the slow cooker, but love the idea. Many people I know have, and have been unhappy with the results. It seems they get too broken down from the slow cooking, according to people not happy with the method. I’d definitely give it a try, especially since onions are cheap, and even if not totally satisfied with them, they can still be used. Anxious to hear your results and satisfaction level @shrinkrap.

2 Likes

Is it possible that they don’t know what “caramelized onions” are supposed to be? Too many restaurants push sauteed onions out as caramelized. People may not know what they are trying to accomplish…?

The difference between onions and fat in a pan hovered over for an hour and dumping it in a slow cooker is zero. Caramelized onions are soft and sugary and broken down. You definitely should not cut the onions too small, but that applies to making them in a pan as much as in a slow cooker.

There is a place in cooking for sauteed onions. It’s a big place. They are wonderful. I use them all the time. That’s different from caramelized onions. Steaks with sauteed onions are good but different from steaks with caramelized onions.

Oh no, we all know what they are supposed to be. A pet peeve is ordering something pitched with carmelized onions, only to get sautéed. As well, recipes that claim the carmelization only takes 10-15 minutes. Not possible! Am going to give the slow cooker a try, because tending the pan for 45-60 minutes can be tiresome. Will report back with results, keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome @Auspicious.

2 Likes

All in all, the onion dip was a bit disappointing, which is a VERY good thing. I still ate more than what I really enjoyed. I was about to toss what was left…but I didn’t.

My onion dip fantasies probably belong in the nostalgia thread.

I’m still going to try caramelizing onions in a small slow cooker or Instant Pot.( I said Instantpot because it might be irritating.)

1 Like

I made old style California Onion Dip a couple months ago, due to finding a pack of Lipton Onion Soup. Really disappointing, because way too salty. We ate some of it, but tossed the rest. (After it was moldy from too long, hidden in the fridge.) Ina’s dip IS the stuff of my fantasies…

No cream cheese or butter in my mix up, but sour cream and Dukes mayo, two of my favorite things! Maybe I should try adding cream cheese and/or butter, but I don’t know if I really need to eat more onion dip.

1 Like

Hear you on that one @shrinkrap, not exactly health food. But good for parties, or a planned indulgence.