One of these days, I want to make it to Flushing ...

1 Like

There’s certainly lots to explore and eat! A food crawl will be more comfortable when it’s just a little warmer.

I only ever have so little time in the city that I’ve never made it out there. I’ll be living closer this fall, so I am very hopeful to explore boroughs outside of Manhattan & Brooklyn :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My only tiny issue with Flushing is that its in a borough where I struggle to find anything else to see and do besides eat.
Besides the fact that it takes me 90 minutes to get there from SI (less to Philly)

What’s wrong with that? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Seriously, though, having lived there for nearly 15 years, I tend to agree. We did a LOT of eating along the 7 train line and not much else. A game at Citi is a nice pairing for a trip to Flushing. There’s also the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria and MoMA PS1 in LIC (not to mention a few other sports venues and museums, etc.), but in general, Queens is for eating. Go get your entertainment in Manhattan!

3 Likes

pair flushing with the us open!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a schlep fro mSI. But…Sunset Park isnt, Gravesend isn’t. Those two hoods have great Chinese (and Vietnamese) as well.

Looks like it’s about a half hour longer than Central Station by train from Philly.

depends. sometimes the express trains are not running and it can take a lot longer. on often packed local trains

I sort of agree with Ziggy. Its been a long time since I have made it to Flushing. Used to be easier to drive and find parking - by transit from Brooklyn it can take a while. There are parks and a botanic garden, and opportunities (for me) to go birding but SI has even more of that kind of opportunity, and less crowded. worth visiting for a group meal or crawl for sure, though!

1 Like

I’ve been to Flushing my last two trips to Manhattan, and a chow crawl is worth it.

Next time I go I intend to hit the Queens Museum, New York Hall of Science and pay my respects to other Worlds Fair Structures.

Before you do that, do read Isaac Asimov’s glimpses of 50 years into the future, or, as we know it, ten years into the past. A snippet:

"Kitchen units will be devised that will prepare “automeals,” heating water and converting it to coffee; toasting bread; frying, poaching or scrambling eggs, grilling bacon, and so on. Breakfasts will be “ordered” the night before to be ready by a specified hour the next morning. Complete lunches and dinners, with the food semiprepared, will be stored in the freezer until ready for processing. I suspect, though, that even in 2014 it will still be advisable to have a small corner in the kitchen unit where the more individual meals can be prepared by hand, especially when company is coming. "

3 Likes

We take the LIRR if we can.

Thanks for the link. It’s a fascinating article.