On the topic of Canadians being more willing than other people to pay good money for crap 😂

https://x.com/VeryBadLlama/status/1736908758448525523?s=20

5 Likes

How I wish this didn’t resonate

1 Like

“I will return here constantly… and also believe this is the best version of something!”

I have Canadian family who truly believe Tim Hortons is a high standard US chains should aspire to. I have consumed plenty of Tim Hortons… and it is not (I mean, nor are any of the US chains :joy: — but it’s funny that they are such passionate ambassadors of TH)

2 Likes

I have a couple cousins who still like it a lot, especially one who prefers nothing fancy to fancy. :rofl:

Tims had better coffee and donuts 20 years ago. The donuts have really gone downhill, but I’ll still eat them :rofl:

Interestingly, there is Tim Hortons coffee being sold at SPARs (convenience stores /grocery stores) in Ireland. Hahaha. I didn’t try it.

Tim Horton’s is in New York – right in Penn Station, even.

1 Like

Oh no. It used to just be upstate NY and Florida. :rofl:

Maybe climate change is to blame? We get your deer ticks and you get our Tim’s? :rofl:

I stayed in the east or west 20s on most of my trips to NYC from 2016-2019. I had this Google map of all the nicer indie coffee shops between 23rd to and 34th St, between 2nd Ave/ Irving Plaza and 8th Ave. :rofl:

2 Likes

I worked there when I was a teen and yes, they used to actually be good. The sweets were all being made completely in-store by a baker. Now there is no baker and everything is made in volume off site and is already stale by the time it reaches the store. I tried a TH coffee and donut a few months ago. Just vile.

2 Likes

They’ve had them in Thailand since 2020 and I went to this one (last photo borrowed from Tim Hortons’ Thailand website) right across the street from a major university in Bangkok. It was packed with students while the university cafeteria (which they call “ canteens” in Thailand…a nod to the Thai preference for British English, it would seem) was basically empty. I had some donut holes which were OK, but nothing to write home about. It was my first time having Tim Hortons outside of Canada and will likely be my last.

I was really surprised at how much the Thai people love donuts! There were Dunkin’ Donuts, Mister Donut and Krispy Kreme stores everywhere with a few Tim Hortons and MANY other local chains.

2 Likes

I will say the coffee can be very good at some locations that use hotter water , maybe use the right ratio, don’t let it burn, with employees who know what they’re doing.

The Tims and Country Styles in the GTA and in the city of London, ON, don’t do coffee as well as the Tim’s in the small towns in my experience. :rofl:

The Tim Hortons in St Mary’s, Mitchell, Port Dover, Ilderton, those ones are better at making coffee.

My friend makes Tim Hortons coffee at home, with a good coffee maker and a little more coffee per cup, and it tastes great.

I am a bit of an indie coffee snob so my thing since 2020 has been trying indie roasters anywhere I travel in Ontario or Quebec, and when I get a coffee to go, I buy some coffee to make at home.

Timmy’s used to make a doughnut that I liked, called a “Dutchie”, then discontinued it several years ago. They brought it back temporarily recently, so I tried it, anticipating the taste from my memory. It was “meh”, far too sweet for starters.

There’s a new store here called “British Pride Bakery” that makes mince meat tarts that I quite like, except that they dust the tops with finely granulated sugar after baking, making them far too sweet, and I don’t like the feel of raw sugar in the teeth, so I have to scrape it off before eating.

1 Like

Have you ever tried Olie Bollen? I think the Dutchie was based on those Dutch raisin fritters/ donuts (no hole) . Recommend trying them.

No, I haven’t; will do. Thanks.

A German friend of mine who spent a lot of time in the Netherlands makes them every NYE (no raisins in hers, AFAIK).

My PIC has zero shame and took the entire bowl home with them this NYE, having one for breakfast for almost a week! If you’re fond of fried dough, it’s pretty excellent.

2 Likes

They are so delicious.
@BarneyGrubble , there is a also an Olie Bollen mix available at some grocery stores, Dutch stores and probably at that German deli in the Byward Market. I haven’t tried the mix.

1 Like

Tim Horton’s is to Canadians as Dunkin Donuts is to New Yorkers.

1 Like

I looked up a recipe for olliebollen, but on second thoughts, I probably won’t make them as I’ve completely gone off deep-fried foods, so after the first couple, the rest would get thrown out. The Dutchie is an aberration based on a fond memory. Doughnuts are an extremely rare purchase, as are French fries.

1 Like

Bostonians… Dunkin’ isn’t quite in the fabric of life in New York, but you can’t escape it in Boston!

4 Likes

You’re not kidding. I have a lifelong friend who now lives in Waltham, and she and her family visited Manhattan (and me) over the holidays. She was very excited to report that their hotel was right near a “Dunks” and I was like what the hell are you even talking about? She was surprised that NYers weren’t also devotees. The only NYC-dwelling devotee of Dunkin Donuts I know is Israeli.

3 Likes