On Limes, Avocados, and Cartels

2 Likes

Well, that information was completely unexpected. Wow! I’m really saddened to read this about avocados. But yesterday I read that imports have been stopped because an inspector was threatened, so this article kind of pulls it all together.

3 Likes

Sad indeed. Stuff that I wish I didn’t need to know, but that I need to know, considering how much I otherwise enjoy using avocados and limes to brighten our meals in winter.

3 Likes

The Avocado War, 2 seasons on Netflix under the documentary title, ROTTEN, is horrifying and illustrates just how large scale this criminal activity has become.

6 Likes

Oof, sounds like something I ought to watch.

1 Like

I thought this was a parody but it’s real. Plata o plomo.

1 Like

It’s odd, for me, to have to shift my thinking of the drug gangs/cartels to being criminal syndicates (though they always have been); now they’re actively diversifying, which seems like a logical business decision on their part (and moving into legitimate goods), yet doing so in a way that brings their terror with them.

From 2019:

Am grateful to have a neighbor with avocado trees; I don’t know that I’d be comfortable purchasing avocados from Mexico at this point. (Though with the current suspension of imports, that’s a moot point.)

3 Likes

Read about the rising cost of avocados all week.

2 Likes

The USDA lifted the ban on Mexican avocado imports.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/newsroom/stakeholder-info/sa_by_date/sa-2022/avocado-imports-mexico

3 Likes

In the 1930s [?] artichoke sales in New York attracted a lot of law enforcement attention.

1 Like

How about the Mob and bagels?

2 Likes

This is unbelievably depressing.

1 Like

These times we’re living in … .

1 Like
1 Like