Olive oil!

I hope you like it! I was a great find for me and I had a lot of hope of finding a tavern that used to be hip in the 50’s still in operation or some kind of memorabilia but unfortunately it wasn’t the case.

When I was younger there was a tavern on Mont Royal called “Taverne Laperrière”. It was one of those old taverns that was pretty empty and that few locals frequented. When you passed the doors there was a picture named “september 2 1945, end of world war 2” and there it was, the place was packed by people celebrating. The room was identical and with a little imagination and that picture you could go back to that era.

“Montreal Confidential” is packed with nostalgia, full of bars and pubs and hotels that have become a bit mythical to me. Places like the “El Morroco” near the old Forum:

On the last days of El Morroco:

"The Last days of El were the dampest on record. On its final night, a rather sad farewell party was held with champagne flowing like the St.Lawrence. The party grew damper and sadder as dawn went into bat for dusk, At nine o’clock in the morning, while demolition crews were at work tearing down the building, the celebrants were still celebrating, sadly and damply.

Rocky Goldberg, who handled the backstage bar, and Hickey, who operated the spotlight for the shows, refused to leave the place until convinced a new El would soon re-open on a different site.

Although it operated for the brief span of five years, it has yet to be replaced as the spot where “everybody goes” If you get too nostalgic reading these lines. drop in The Continental at St Urbain and St.Kits [Sainte-Catherine]. The beloved mahogany bar, upon which leaned all and sundry, is now in operation there" (Montreal Confidential, Al Palmer, 1950)

An image of the place:

My Costco has Toscano in glass bottles again for the first time in ages, YAY!! California Olive Ranch is kind of insipid to me, though I know it’s quality oil.

All of them or just the basic grocery store offering?

Finished early and took a walk to finish my search.

Today I went to

• IGA louise ménard at Le complexe desjardins
  • A strange market name “Epicerie depuis 1927” on Saint-Laurent in the plateau
  • La Vieille Europe on Saint-Laurent
  • Librairie Espagnole on Saint-Laurent
  • Marché Sakaris on Saint-Laurent
  • Provigo on Mont-Royal

The strange market (I named it “mystery place”) was a full blown supermarket but everything were in boxes or just stashed in shopping carts. It was packed and there was a weird febrility in the air. I felt like I was on boxing day, grocery edition. Found 750ml of Terra Delyssa at 5.99$, making it pretty cheap at 0.80$/100ml. Its the cheapest recommended olive oil yet. Looked at the production date and it was written november 2015, expiration in 2017 so it wasn’t centuries old. Bought a bottle.

Sekeris had Lefas at 6.99$/750ml, so around the same as supermarché PA (0.93$/100ml)

Provigo had Acropolis in his bio section at 26.99/1l (2.70$/100ml), O-Live at 8.99/500ml (1.80$/100ml) and Terra Delissa at 12.19/1l (1.28$/100ml). They had O-Live on sale at 10.29/1l (1.03$/100ml) so I bought a bottle for comparison.

The only places I didn’t go were:

*IGA Louise Menard at place dupuis

• Super C near Atwater market
  • Brick and mortar Costco store near wellington in PSC

I don’t mind. I’ll update if I go later but I feel I have a good idea of what I’ll find.

My list wasn’t representative of the available olive oils in Montreal. Its all good and well to get tasting results from California and Toronto but if the oils aren’t available in your market is it really useful? The only olive oil I found from the websites is O-Live. Terra Delissa and Lefas were the only 2 other ones that were in my range and they were recommended by you guys.

Overall my 3 olive oil in my range are O-Live in provigo and maxi at 1.03/100ml, Terra Delissa at the mysterious market at 0.80$/100ml and Lefas in supermarché PA and Sekeris at around 0.93$/100ml.

The Atwater metro IGA, Marché Atwater, Marché Jean-Talon, Milano and Vieille Europe had all good to great selection but I wasn’t knowledgeble enough to seperate the wheat from the chaff and I was under impression that their olive oils were the premium brands at approx 4$/100ml ++.

I make myself two shooters of Terra Delyssa and O-live.

The colours are identical but O-Live is more viscous (it has more legs)

On the nose Delyssa is more neutral and O-live is more pungent.

Terra Delyssa’s attack is neutral. It had a pretty bitter middle and a peppery finish that lingers in the throat, Buttery undertones. Not really vegetal or fruity. I’m not a big fan of the bitterness but I’ve heard the peppery finish is a sign of quality. Overall, however, I kinda liked it and would not hesitate to use it.

Olive’s attack is flowery and grassy (dandelion?), the middle of the mouth has pretty high notes and transitions between the grassyness and the spicy finish. The finish is spicier than Terra Delyssa and catch you in the throat. I taste pretty high octane, has more colour and complexity in its palette than Delyssa but is less buttery.

I don’t have a clear cut winner. I enjoy Terra Delyssa’s butteriness but I like Olive’s complexity. I’m not a fan of Delyssa’s biterness and the Olive’s grassy palette is not my thing. I enjoy them both and don’t regret buying them but I feel my favorite olive oil is yet to come.

It’s funny but I no longer smell that. I used to. I took an Asian dumpling class from Andrea Nguyen a few years ago and she uses a good bit of canola oil so I started back, first with a small bottle that I kept in the fridge. Now the big ‘jug’ from Costco.

I have a very sensitive sniffer, but I’m beginning to wonder if “canola=fish” isn’t down the same road as “cilantro=soap” – maybe I’m just not wired to smell it.

That’s a good point, sunshine :slight_smile: I’ve gone through several gallons of it with no stinkiness.

A final link a friend sent to me. Good information to have!

http://www.worldsbestoliveoils.org/worlds-best-olive-oils.html