Olive Oil, NYC

I’m drooling.

Spain has long been on my list of countries to revisit but I think it may have moved way up the list when comes that I’ll travel again. That looks amazing. Spanish olive oils have always been a favorite.

We were using the Zoe from Sahadi (Atlantic Ave one, near us), but have found one we liked more at the Key Food (don’t shoot!) on Montague St (not sure if the one on Atlantic Ave has it). It’s Bono’s Sicilian EVOO. It says it’s Val Di Mazara PDO, cold extracted & Organic. The fine print says that the olives (3 varieties) are from both Palermo & Agrigento provinces. Obviously, we’re not talking high end here but Key Food shelf stuff, but we like it more than we thought. By the way, since Jenkins retired several years ago, the Fairway stuff (just about all the varieties/nationalities) lessened in quality. Although we shopped at the Red Hook store until it closed, we stopped buying olive oil & cheese there.

ETA: maybe some day we can get Dave Cook & arrange an old timers dinner in Brooklyn. He’s the only one who’s been adventurous enough to still be out there, doing the foraging, during these scary times. :grimacing:

If you also eat pork and like tomatoes then I suggest the most famous Jamon producing area called “Sierra de Aracena”. The oils, the tomatoes and the Iberico pork in Spain will make you smile all day.

I posted my experiences from that Sierra trip here. [wipe tears :sob:]

Oh, that’s great! Glad you like it. Good luck with the phyllo.

Well that specificity is encouraging - and unusual!

I’ve relied on TJ’s for a while now, because the quantities are small, my usage isn’t high, and I can try a different one each time. Their Tunisian and Spanish oils have been really good. The Greek was a strong flavor that I didn’t love, but may be what others are looking for.

Here in CA through the pandemic, we have used Costco for normal use (pretty good tbh) and higher end stuff from Williams Sonoma for finishing/specialty use.

Was it the Kalamata one? I hated that so much I brought it back because I thought it was spoiled.

Here’s the one we buy (link to the company’s website): https://www.bonousainc.com/products/bono-sicilian-val-di-mazara-pdo-organic-extra-virgin-olive-oil/

Amazon has their more generic “Sicilian” EVOO available.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. Your trip looks amazing. Your photographs are wonderful as is you writing.

1 Like