Old Standby-Greek Corner -Cambridge MA-Can't Go Home Again?

We had tickets to the Blue Heron concert in Cambridge last night and decided to hit the Greek Corner on Mass Ave for a bite before hand. This was a favorite of ours in the way back, solid food, family friendly and relatively inexpensive. But maybe its true, you can’t go home again?
I can’t say it was bad, it wasn’t. The experience over all was just meh.
I would of liked a little more lemon in the avgolemono soup. And maybe less salt.
My beef kabob was fine, well cooked, rice and salad. All pretty standard. but served on a plate that was from those way back times. Probably should of been retired. DH had a soulvaki plate which was also fine.

Service was a little pokey, I think the kitchen was backed up. There was a fair amount of take out and the dining room was pretty full. So obviously its working for folks, there were families and couples of all ages. Groups of young people sharing plates. Pretty lively. Just not hitting the right notes for us.
And we held DH’s 40th birthday party there (also in the way back times).
Maybe an off night for us, not sure if we would go back.
Has anyone been lately?

4 Likes

My first visit was really good. The soup was tasty and the gyro was really enjoyable. My second visit wasn’t really a success. https://thedailylunch-woburn.blogspot.com/2019/06/greek-corner-cambridge.html.

1 Like

Last time I went was about 4 years ago for a quiet weekday lunch with a friend who really loves the place. I had an okay meal (probably consisting of spanakopita since I don’t eat meat?) We used to live down the street from it but had never gone. I got spoiled by Greek friends in Chicago and a couple of really nice trips to Greece that it had never tempted me prior to my friend’s request. I think I’ve been one other time but memory fails me.

That said, I’m glad to see the old-school places hanging on in the face of intense gentrification/development/“progress.” I hope those places never go away. But boo on us for not patronizing those very places more often.

2 Likes

It was a busy spot, people were patronizing. It felt neighborhood-y. I don’t think its going away anytime soon. Perhaps our expectations have changed in the last 20 years.

3 Likes

the last time I went here (a year or two ago) I thought it had gone downhill a bit since the old days. It’s OK and I’d eat there if I lived around the corner, but it’s not much better’n that.

2 Likes

That sums up my feelings. There was a time when we ordered from the now closed Eliot location almost daily at work. I agree it has slipped a bit, and perhaps there are better options for this type of food now. I find the quality at Pita in Inman Square to be good for this type of food now. I know Greek and Middle Eastern aren’t necessarily the same thing. However in terms of what I order either works.

It was all downhill for me starting when they changed the classic Hellenic blue and white to yellow and crimson. I swear the food doesn’t taste as good.

1 Like

I hate to be negative (and a little obsessive) and trash a place, but I have a hard time getting beyond the amount of margarine they used on DDD. Their online recipes also use lots of margarine. I haven’t been for years, but that’s a turnoff for me.

3 Likes