Old cutting boards

I certainly haven’t repaired anything as ambit as your projects, but I have fixed stuff, or gotten things to work properly, thanks to YouTube videos. With the caveat, of course, that some videos are just plain bad. Or wrong. Just like The Internets.

3 Likes

You are kidding? Right? Wood cutting board?

I know of what you speak. Have had the same issue but I think I have resources to fix this that most aren’t likely to have. I am an amateur woodworker and have a decently equipped shop. If you know anyone who has a shop the repair is easy. Rip the board apart at the split. Run it through a jointer and glue and clamp. I put a small jig together to hold everything flat. Didn’t take too much effort and I had everything I needed in the garage shop. Trying to glue and clamp at the seam isn’t going to hold.

I also like the idea of keeping the old boards to use as a serving tray. Plenty of charcuterie boards in use in trendy restaurants these days.

4 Likes

About 30 years ago, I made a cutting board out of 2x4 redwood, pinned through with 3/4 inch dowels. I thought it would be too soft, but it is still working. I oil it 3 times a year. I am beginning to wear down to the dowels, so maybe I will make another, which will outlive me.

6 Likes

Don’t know if this will help but I’ll share my experience. I installed a maple counter top in 1978, and saved the sink cutout to use as a cutting board. But of course it split along the original glue lines. In 2007 I needed a long and skinny board in a different (new) house, and had a piece of that old board the right shape/size, which was about 20x10 IIRC. Anyway, I got my builder to drill four holes into it from the long sides and screw four 7" or so skinny lag bolts into it, two on each side, to prevent it ever cracking. Counter sunk the heads of course. It worked, and I still have the board. Not sure if such a procedure would cure your issue, but it certainly prevented any cracking for me.

3 Likes

Great solution and a pretty straightforward maneuver, if you have a drill press. Thankfully, I have a new board being made by Lumber-Hardwood.

1 Like

I got this at a garage sale for $10 & refurbished it. Its about a hundred years old. Im a tinkerer & a refurbisher. All the woodworking machines in my shop are similar vintage or older.

I tinker a lot i guess.

10 Likes

Is he older than your grandfather?

1 Like

I got a small JK Adams end grain maple board, 12 x 12, and absolutely love it. I do not know if I’ll spring for a larger one in end or edge. Does anyone have any thoughts on the use of cherry versus maple?

2 Likes

Fantastic explanation. Thanks. I had surfed and surfed and come up with a bunch of inconclusive jabber. Case closed!

1 Like

Woodworking workbench tops are often made with threaded rod running through the top and bolted on each end. It keeps the glue lines from separating, or can help.

1 Like