Olaide's Kitchen, new African spot in Parlin NJ

I’ve never had this style of African food but I’d like to try it out. It is new so there are about ten reviews on yelp and they look good.

http://www.olaideskitchen.com/

@joonjoon @gcaggiano and others, any intel on this place?

@NotJrvedivici @BossaNova @seal care to try something new?

Sounds like a place I’ll have to try very soon. I have a friend from Ghana. Maybe she can accompany me.

Keep us posted. This is a place Id like to try with a lot of people to sample different things.

1 Like
1 Like

I had it and honestly it was the best African food, or even food in general I’ve ever had. I had the Yucca fries with spicy sauce, giz-dodo, moin moin and my entrée was Asaro and sautéed fried fish. Soooo good. Plus the waitress did a really great job in explaining to me how to eat certain things and what exactly some of the dishes were. Overall it was a wonderful experience.

1 Like

Welcome to hungry onion. This is a great place to talk everything food.

So wow, that is quite a statement to say that it’s the best food you have ever had! I emailed the owner and asked her to comment on this thread but she obviously didn’t respond.

When are you going back?

Lol. I meant to say its some of the best food I’ve ever had. Definitely the best African though. I actually know the owner and she’s probably in the kitchen at the moment. Their weekends are pretty slammed. I’m going back next week!

1 Like

Oh nice. It be cool if she joined and enticed me to drive up there lol.

Post some pics up next time you visit :slight_smile:

1 Like

I doubt she will. I actually just started handling the social media for that reason. :smile: However If you’re looking for some reasons to go here are a few!!!

1 Like

Looking good! I’ve never tried any food from Western Africa but I plan to.

@gcaggiano is one of our resident food bloggers and we need to convince him to get up there too :slight_smile: he takes some great photos.

So as a newbie, what would be the “must try” dishes the first time someone goes?

1 Like

I’m still a rookie on west African food myself so I asked and they recommend you try the Dundun to get a taste of African spice (these are the yam fries with the sauce I was telling you about). Also the Jollof rice and chicken is always a hit! My personal favorite is the Asaro with sautéed fried fish I told you about. It reminds me of home. (I’m from the south)

I definitely have to get there. I want to take my friend, from Ghana, with me so I can have someone with actual knowledge of African food help me with my review. It is not often I call in the cavalry, but African food is [unfortunately] as foreign to me as Martian.

1 Like

Olaide’s Kitchen is in the space previously occupied by Bordeloi’s, in a small strip mall on Ernston Road just east of Route 9. There has been minimal change to the space–basically the artwork, etc., are African rather than Asian and that’s about it. One thing that hasn’t changed seems to be the speed, or lack thereof, in food preparation–it took a long time to be served in a basically empty restaurant.

We had Jollof Rice with Chicken and Ewa Aganyin (Nigerian brown beans served with ground pepper sauce). Jollof Rice is apparently the classic signature dish, but it did not seem all that different from what used to be (still is?) called “Spanish rice”. The chicken was good–two or three large pieces of white meat rather than the bits and pieces with bone-in that I was expecting. The Ewa Aganyin was sort of like refried beans, only drier, but came with sauteed fried fish. This latter is not indicated on the menu, so we were a bit confused when it arrived. Both the chicken and the fish were in a tomato-based sauce; the Ewa Agnyin also had a good helping of ground chili peppers on it, which made it somewhat spicy. The Ewa Aganyin also came with Dodo, which turned out to be a large portion of fried plantains (maduro, or sweet plantains, not the starchy ones).

It was certainly different than what we were used to, the real problem being that the menu was so unfamiliar that we had no idea what to order or what to expect. For example, the stews come with a choice of “pounded yam, amala, eba, semolina, tuwo, or wheat.” I might as well throw a dart in that list to pick one.

They do have goat as one of the meat choices, also “assorted meat” (which includes tripe and other less common cuts).

Main courses are about $12-$15, certainly reasonable for the portion sizes.

Nice report. I have absolutely no knowledge of this food either, but I like to try new things and western Africa isn’t on my vacation list.

I will try to get there sooner or later.

1 Like