Oh Baloney…

From my freezer

1 Like

Now THAT is true prepping!! I salute you!!

I am totally literate with reading, the mouth and the ear - well, that’s a different story.

1 Like

Yep. My bologna needs are now met by OM turkey bologna, which to me doesn’t have the greasy mouthfeel and doesn’t cause nearly the baloney burps later.

1 Like

Dunno about that… I tried their mortadella and its texture was like rubber. Some of the bologna reviews I read noted a firmer texture. If it is like their mort, no thanks.

I guess I’ll have to try the kosher supermarket one day …

in PA a ‘fried bologna sandwich’ is Lebanon bologna - sliced thick . . .
Lebanon stye originated with the PA Dutch - it’s all beef - Selzers is the “original” but several brands available now - rather common in supermarket deli’s…

brief history

3 Likes

Dear God, forgive me. …

8 Likes

Good work. Needs Velveeta.

Ha! All I have is mozzarella. That’s a no-go. :joy:. But the grape soda hit the spot.

2 Likes

Is it Polly-O? Could work.

Ha ha, no; Tillamook shredded. And I’m not going to make a bologna pizza…

1 Like

I’d just be sitting there peeling off slices…

What baloney was that… and how was it?

I’d actually like it griddled and wrapped around a grilled kosher dog on a deli hot dog bun. That’s an old Baltimore deli tradition- probably dead now since all the old time delis have disappeared.

It was the dreaded Boar’s Head. I had an Instacart delivery today (asked for cilantro; got parsley. It’s usually the other way around).

It tasted ok; but I seem to remember Hebrew National as being garlickier or something.

1 Like

I specifically picked up parsley for a dish last week. I told the checkout clerk that it was parsley, but she rang it up as Cilantro (which was cheaper). When I saw it rang up wrong (on the screen) I told her, so she could correct it and charge me more, but she said “Its all the same”. I let it drop, I figured if she didn’t care… why should I.

2 Likes

I know they look the same; it has never dawned on me that people would think they are the same, but you have a point.

The OM “original” tasted ok, but was a little light on both flavor and texture… probably should have gone with the all beef. Other than OM, the only other choices I have are Boar’s Head and Primo Taglio (Safeway deli brand… which I like for most stuff- usually more than BH.)

My sandwich spread was BF mayo, Del Monte sweet relish, lemon juice, paprika, onion powder, and corn starch. It was good, but a little too sweet. Next time I will replace some of the relish with chopped capers, and maybe a bit more lemon (and maybe some zest).

2 Likes

How far to reach a meat markets/butcher shop?
Although, I’ve never associated bologna and California.
I wonder if Columbus makes bologna.