Oh Baloney…

Back in the late sixties I was a fan of the Oscar Mayer baloney sandwich. I now have a craving to do one again… but they now have so many different formulations - I want to buy the one that was most likely what I had back then.

They have two they label “Original”… one that is “Beef” and the other made from pork, chicken, and beef. Any ideas as to what my Mom bought back in those days?

Original… (for me)

As an adult, three words… Fried Baloney Sandwiches!!

4 Likes

“Bologna Original” or “Beef Bologna Original”? Were they both available back then… or did beef arrive on the scene later on? IIRC the package was just labeled “Bologna”.

1968 package reassuringly lists it as “all meat” and it’s beef and pork.

1955 ad is the same:

1978 ad shows at least one beef bologna by then:

Looking at that last ad, I’ll say it’s been a while since I’ve thought about olive loaf, and that square liverwurst was my absolute favorite, on white sandwich bread with some Miracle Whip. Do they even make most of these anymore?

4 Likes

https://www.gulfoodmanufacturing.com/news/s-carbon-dioxide-shortage-food-drink-makers-scrambling

I went searching for Lebanon bologna but ended up on this interesting site!

The Lebanon lowdown.
We had ring bologna in the KC of my youth but I haven’t seen it out here in the far west.

1 Like

Ordered the “original” along with a loaf of Wonder Bread. While waiting for it will work on making a sandwich spread as Best Foods discontinued theirs.

Hoping it somewhat meets my expectations.

1 Like

For the experience to be complete, you must sing the song while you’re making the sandwich.

2 Likes

You should have a blog describing your various food quests!

I loved fried bologna sandwiches when I was a kid. They were probably on rye or challah, and the bologna (from Isaly’s in Pittsburgh) would be chopped up into small pieces. If my grandmother was feeling fancy, she would deglaze the pan with Heinz (of course) ketchup!

1 Like

That was the one I remember as a kid.

I like the part in the 1955 ad about the all new Saran film, the amazing new airtight food wrap.

I’ve been trying to find Hebrew National beef bologna; no one has it. I don’t want turkey bologna. Packs of it used to hang in all the grocery cold cases, right there with Oscar.

1 Like

Same here. I remember seeing it in the past at Safeway but it has disappeared.

I just Instacarted my entire city - no Hebrew National bologna. Some places did have the prepackaged sliced salami. We have a huge kosher supermarket, but I don’t know if they carry any Hebrew National products - evidently Hebrew National anything isn’t kosher enough for the strictest. Store’s closed tomorrow anyway …
If I wanted to get beef bologna, I guess I’d go for Boar’s Head. But it doesn’t come pre-sliced.

OTOH I do know of a store that has Wonder Bread …

1 Like

We always called those large, unsliced packages of kosher salami or bologna as “chub〜”. Maybe if you add that word to your search, you’ll be able to find it somewhere locally. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I grew up in a large family - 6 kids, 5 of them boys, and a stay-at-home Mom. We always had a large garden that helped my parents feed us, but they couldn’t afford to buy much meat. I remember my mother baking a huge unsliced chunk of bologna for Sunday dinner, she scored it like a ham, put cloves in the thing and glazed it with brown sugar and ketchup. We loved it as kids.

I got a craving for a bologna sandwich just recently, and bought a package of hum-along Oscar Mayer and a loaf of white bread. I was really disappointed. It just tasted like grease to me. I have long since switched to Hellman’s mayonnaise from the Miracle Whip of my childhood. That might have been the missing variable. Hope you find your memory…

3 Likes

I think you’re chasing after childhood dreams. All beef baloney might be your best bet. But even then all bets are off. Baloney is not what it used to be.

I studied linguistics and love playing with language. I recently found a conversation with people talking about how difficult it is to learn English and one of the examples was “who knew that pony and bologna” could sound the same. My husband speaks fluent French and I find it impossible to interpret or pronounce orally. The joke is, French has the same 26 letters in their alphabet but they don’t even use half of them.

6 Likes

Salamis, yes, — I have one now —no chub bologna!

1 Like

Oh, they use the letters — at the ends of words —- they just don’t pronounce them!

1 Like

We’ve spent a lot of time in France because of my husband’s work, he has good French language skills because of his childhood but he has a limited vocabulary. I am confident with food vernacular but really suck at pronunciation so we get by with team effort!