October 2020 Openings and Closings (Boston & New England)

Hey! It’s that time again, where we do that thing we do every month. So let’s do it.

Out on a walk today in Ball Sq., I saw that Neighborhood Produce is opening a new branch in a location that used to be a paper store. This is great news for me, as it’s even closer than the location that got me through the early part of the pandemic. They have signs up that they are just doing online pickup in this space at present, but I assume it’ll eventually be a market space as well?

5 Likes

Ball Sq is firmly in our (food) corridor. Thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

It looks like Mei Mei stopped being a restaurant (there is a post on instagram and their email list with some explanation but it is a bit cryptic what will happen in the future

4 Likes

Hen Chicken Rice in Union Square has apparently soft opened. Hoping to give it a whirl soon…

1 Like

Taqueria el Barrio is reopening at Time Out Market tonight. Good news!

3 Likes

This is really good news! Always happy to have any Mexican style place in Boston that makes its own tortillas stick around.

3 Likes

Based on the Boston Globe (not surprising) article we should start a hibernation list. Some of the first once are Tiger Mama, Grand Tour and Orfano

2 Likes

Not sure when it opened, but Peka in Brighton is wonderful. Probably the best spot of its kind in the Boston area.

5 Likes

good to know. thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Does anyone know if there’s any news about Quic Pic BBQ in Chinatown? I happened to be in the area on random days the last two weeks, and each time I’ve walked by the doorway is papered up and windows show lights out. I haven’t really ventured into Chinatown much since the lockdown, so not sure if they ever got a chance to reopen. The place is tiny, but I would have assumed they maintain their takeout biz.

On a local group, they shared that Newcomb Farms in the Wollaston area of Quincy will be closing down by end of the month. Guess the block was bought for development. They do have an option to come back in 2 yrs when the development is projected to complete, but they are not committed to return yet.

2 Likes