October 2018; Boston and surrounding areas. Openings and closings...

You know the drill.

And, although I’m temporarily silent[*] I applaud you.

[*]Help, I’m trapped in a cave, surrounded by bandits[**}.

[**]Whew! it was OK. The bandits were from Cambridge. I shook hands with them and ambled out. Then went back to all-consuming work.

Harvest Co-op is closing both locations (Cambridge and JP) over the next several weeks. The scant grocery shopping options for Cambridge residents will get a bit slimmer. Hopefully this puts a more intense light on the former Star/Shaws location at University Park. The last I heard, it sounds like the Cambridge City council is quietly trying to let the landlord out of their commitment to have a grocery store in that space. I find that reprehensible as this was a condition for development of that space in the first place.

I think it’s absolutely going to be offices there. There was a summer article in Cambridge Day about how they tried to attract a supermarket there but had no takers. Given margins in the grocery biz and that location, it wouldn’t totally surprise me if that were true.

(Peter Sward) #5

Sanyo (no website) opened recently where Yangtze River in Lexington reside for forever. I stopped in after my excellent Indian lunch today, and the place is beautiful. They have a Chinese lunch buffet that is $17! $17! I know it’s Lexington but $17 for lunch? Everything looked fresh, and they also have Sushi. It was only Maki when I was there. They have a Szechuan section on the menu that looks really good. Both Chinese and Japanese lunch specials are available. Neither looked exciting. I wonder why they stick with the old spelling of Sichuan? The world has moved on. Same owners as Bamboo and Mandarin, both of which have several locations in the area.

Not an October closing, but I was sad to read Erbaluce is closing at the end of the year:

(Denise) #7

Oh my. Erbaluce has been on our list and now we’ll have to get serious about going if we ever hope to try it.

I’m always sad to see a creative, independently operated restaurant end its run.

So glad you posted, must get back at least once before then. Lots of good memories…