NYTimes' article on the wait at Franklin's, Austin

The article is not a review of the meat, but about the long wait to get the meat.

Went to see my daughter in Austin. Drove from the airport to Franklins and at around 10:30am there was already a 3+ hr wait. We ended up going to La BBQ and waited an hour. La was very good. Stood in line with a BBQ guy from I think Sonoma who had paid someone to wait at franklins the day before. He said he would give franklins a very small edge on the brisket but was being very critical. The brisket and ribs were excellent at La. No remorse for not going to Franklins. i just couldn’t justify the wait.

I don’t wait in lines anymore. He seems like a nice enough guy, but Jeez. I’m not sure anything to eat is that desirable.

There’s been so much said about Franklin’s that I don’t think it could possibly live up to my now inflated expectation. I did drive by at 11 one day while in Austin and immediately discarded the idea to pick some up. Mueller in Austin makes a wonderful brisket.

1 Like

I did the line about four years ago. We arrived at 9:30 am and were tenth or so in line. By 10:30 they already had walked the line taking not orders, but estimates and had put up the sold out sign. I have heard since that occasionally you can arrive at 1:30 and have a pretty short line. Of course, they may be out of some things by then, but they usually have brisket.

That said, I will usually go to John Mueller’s which I think is what Lambsy is talking about. It’s just a couple of blocks from Franklin and may have a short line, but just a short line. I really think it’s every bit as good though. His beef ribs are just something special.

Facebook Page for Mueller’s.

Help cover Hungry Onion's costs when you shop at Amazon!

Making noodles. Phongdien Town, Cantho City, Southern Vietnam.
Credit: CiaoHo