[NYC] Ryan Sutton no longer at Eater NY

Kind of surprising for the chief restaurant critic to be cut without comment for a food site. Or maybe not.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnqP-IzMwDl

1 Like

Interesting!

FWIW he was very vocal throughout the pandemic. Very much in favor of mandates even after mandates were dropped.

I have very mixed feelings about this.

It becomes harder and harder for any journalist to make a living in this country, as a “free” press is constantly under assault. If there’s another business that is perhaps even harder than the restaurant business, it is journalism. But you are right that it is odd for a food site to be without a NY restaurant critic.

Sietsema’s still there, though, right?

2 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

He told me he’s safe. Thank God.

1 Like

Sietsema reviews inexpensive ethnic spots while Sutton reviewed moderate to upscale restaurants. I wasn’t a fan of Sutton. However, unless they’re planning to have Sietsema also cover the types of restaurants Sutton did — which, frankly, I think is a terrible idea — it’s beyond ridiculous for Eater not to have a regular reviewer for upper tier restaurants.

Eater has become (or always kind of was, really) essentially a PR machine, so it (almost) makes sense.

2 Likes

I agree. They hired a lot of young, TikTokish writers to cover stories and sometimes I feel they are just copying and pasting PR presses instead of really dissecting a dining experience. Also, sometimes the articles are full of grammatical error. Oi vey…

Eater does not need a restaurant critic.

It’s not really a restaurant review site.

Nowadays, Eater (all locations) is just either posting listicles or doing PR for new restaurants.

1 Like