NYC Michelin inspector role

Seems like someone should grab this job!

5 Likes

Yeah – we have two 265/35/R19s that could stand a closer look.

5 Likes

Yeah, my Cup2s always heat cycle out with too much tread left.

Dang, I got everything checked except integrity

1 Like

I read an interview with a Michelin inspector, I recall it as a lonely, drab career but I read the article many moons ago and may have misremembered the details. A lot of mediocre meals, a lot of mediocre hotels, and anonymous dining punctuated by some great experiences.

still, it would have been an interesting career choice instead of optimizing how quickly we could route an order to an equity exchange.

3 Likes

we live in a desert of ‘fine dining’ - and covid shut downs killed multiple really good places…
but, prior to that I stumbled on a place recently awarded a Michelin star - and by coincidence as we were going to be in the area . . . went there.

it was a very loud college type dive bar. so loud I/we/one could not hear what the wait staff was saying.
food was OMG!!! WHAT? ever eaten beef tendons? you can’t eat them. chew on them, perhaps… high end menu items, exceptionally poorly prepared.
multiple other failures . . . bottom line: stars cannot be trusted.

1 Like

I couldn’t find the interview I referenced in my previous post, but this is interesting:

5 Likes

So after skimming through this article, I didnt see how many times a solo inspector has to visit an establishment before determining the award. I assume its one time? Anyone knows?

For the award of ‘star(s)’, AT LEAST one return visit by the inspector followed by a confirmation visit by a fellow colleague inspector.
( Told by the marketing manager of North America Michelin guide years ago. I was the first to order the first edition NYC guide and was consequently approached by Michelin to inquire about my reasoning for ordering the copy…since I reside in Toronto! )

3 Likes