Now you can eat your feels.... #smh

I saw that and kinda scratched my head. I’d still love to go there though.

Remind me not to eat there. #pretentious

3 Likes

“Simple Definition of pretentious
: having or showing the unpleasant quality of people who want to be regarded as more impressive, successful, or important than they really are”

It would only be pretentious if it didn’t measure up. From all I’ve read it more than measures up. One of the top places in the country.

making an exaggerated outward show; ostentatious.

i understand the need for restaurateurs to keep pushing the envelope - it’s like an arms race. And we seem to be be evolving into a species of neophiliacs with nano-second attention spans who need to be constantly amazed. But I usually like to keep my dinner and my theater separate.

2 Likes

But doesn’t exaggerate mean to try to make it bigger or better than it is? It’s clearly not your cup of tea but it seems most of the worlds disagrees with you. Which is totally fine.

“The complexity comes in its simplicity.” Rename it The Naked Emperor, perhaps? And grab a slice on the way home.

3 Likes

I’ve had things like that on occasion and bow in homage to those who can execute that.

Well that’s gonna be bitter :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

“Every ceiling tile has up to four brass anchors that can hold nearly 100 pounds in weight. Mr. Achatz envisions suspending legs of Ibérico ham, or baskets where diners forage for their next course.”

Umm…I don’t want to “forage” for my meal.

This just seems like the ultra-high end (and wicked expensive) version of a Benihana or other “performance” restaurant.

2 Likes

Nobody in that photo looks happy. Suggested captions:

ACHATZ: This, Mr. Walker, is your $575 prix fixe entree.
SIMON (thought bubble): Oy veh…and I just signed the lease on a bigger apartment.
DAVIES (thought bubble): Crap! I wonder if I can still get that job at Benihana…
WALKER: No, Mr. Achatz, this is my vision for your new dining room, as you requested when you paid my consultant fee.

Here is some more info. I can’t afford to eat there but wish I could. Up there IMneverHO :slight_smile: with Noma.

If someone else was paying, or if I could spend that kind of money without worrying about it, I’d be there in a heartbeat. Of course, I’d say that about pretty much anything.

And I emphatically do not believe that the only thing that matters at a restaurant is the food. I love beautiful plating, fantastic service; interesting surroundings. But I want to know that most of the restaurant’s creativity and skill is going toward the food, because I’ve chosen to go to a restaurant, not a theme park.

1 Like