November 2023 COTM - DINNER IN ONE

I feel like the liquid amounts could be different. I really have no frame of reference.

Here are similiar Dakdori Tang recipes from the NYT - the first is stovetop and includes some sauteeing and then low and slow, the other two are identical and dump-and-go with the only difference being that one uses the instant pot, the other the slow cooker.

2 Likes

Thank you!

This is great

1 Like

I like the Tolerant brand red lentil pasta and also the Barilla brand. I usually get the latter because it is in just about every grocery store. Barilla also makes a chickpea version. I prefer the lentil, but their chickpea pasta is better than Banza. For some reason Banza sees fit to put xanthan gum in their chickpea pasta, and it is neither needed nor desirable.

5 Likes

Let’s get going with some nominations for December!

I’ve made a similar Rachael Ray recipe and I like it - though I use jarred pesto instead of making it, and just throw the cooked gnocchi in the pot. The stew/soup cooks very quickly, as you can see from the recipe!

1 Like

If you (anyone reading this) have access to Wegmans, their brand of organic chickpea//lentil pastas are pretty good - I prefer them to Banza.

3 Likes

I like the idea of pesto, thanks.

1 Like

How about putting it in the oven?

I have no idea. Maybe?!

Thanks MelMM and truman for the pasta recommendations!

1 Like

This has become a weekend favorite. The meatballs are so nice and tender and the spices are just right.I buy little sub buns and found that after i brush them with the butter garlic mixture I toast them just to the point where they are very light. Then i put in my meatballs and sauce with the cheese on top and only broil till the cheese melts.

2 Likes

CHILE CRISP TOFU with blistered kale - p. 58

Another sheet pan dish, and another tofu dish. This was better than the previous tofu dish, just because the slabs were thinner and the chile crisp coating was more flavorful. For the coating, you mix chile crisp, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey, garlic, scallion, and cilantro. My chile crisp was homemade from a David Chang recipe. I used chinkiang vinegar instead of balsamic, and a vegan honey. You put your tofu on a sheet pan and coat both sides with this mixture. The tofu is baked for 10 minutes, then you add to the sheet pan some kale that has been tossed with oil, salt, and garlic. Bake everything for another 10 minutes, tossing the kale halfway through that time. Serve with lemon or lime wedges, and more chile crisp.

As a meal, this wasn’t going to cut it on its own, so I made some brown rice to round it it out. With the rice added, the recipe served the two of us with no leftovers (a running theme here). This tofu, while better than the huge slabs in the previous recipe, would still be improved by brining. As written, it was just OK, and not something I would repeat. The kale crisped up better than I expected it to. But Clark really doesn’t seem to put much effort or thought into seasoning her vegetables.

6 Likes

STUFFED PORTOBELLOS with Creamy, Lemony Chickpeas - p. 43

Another ugly one. Clark says this is based on a Nigel Slater recipe, and I would like to see the original. This is really just portobellos stuffed with hummus, and topped with whole the chickpeas. I cooked chickpeas from dried instead of using canned like she calls for. The hummus is pretty standard, but at the end you blend in quite a lot of sumac and some fresh thyme. The sumac did nothing for looks of the dish - I’m kind of wondering why it wasn’t used more as a finish, which would have been prettier and just as delicious.

You fill the portobellos with the hummus, press the chickpeas into the top, and roast, along with some veg. I used broccoli for the vegetable. The veg are to be drizzled with oil, but she doesn’t mention seasoning them at all. I seasoned with salt and pepper.

This was just OK. I love stuffed mushrooms, but the flavor of the hummus wasn’t really a great match with the steak-like savoriness of mushrooms. Not one we will repeat. Recipe served 2.

6 Likes

I think maybe this:

Joe Yonan introduced it here:

2 Likes

Thanks for your reports! I have a quite strong soy allergy and tofu is out for me. I find the reviews useful, however, and always appreciate the photos of your very beautiful and varied pottery collection.

You aren’t missing anything with the tofu in this book. Melissa Clark really is clueless about it.

4 Likes

ROASTED CAULIFLOWER AND POTATOES with Harissa, Yogurt, and Toasted Almonds - p. 49

LLM has already described the process, so I’ll just note where I deviated. I used the Mina harissa, which is more a sauce than a paste, and I used way more than called for. I used six heaping tablespoons, half spicy, half mild. My herbs for the finish were dill and cilantro. For the almonds, I decided to use smoked almonds, just to add a little more flavor. For the yogurt, I used Kite Hill plant-based yogurt, half Greek and half regular.

This dish is reminiscent of one in the Ali Slagle book that was COTM last year. That one used broccoli and tofu, and they were tossed in harissa after being cooked. I might prefer that dish to this one, but I did like this one as well. I would definitely continue to use the much larger quantity of harissa in the future. I feel like it could have used even more than what I put in there.

7 Likes

December voting is here: