November 2016, Boston MA area openings and closings

wow. I must have passed you many times, SM Tucker! I lived in Harvard Yard 73-74 and then was sent to the Siberia that was Radcliffe quad at the time. But of course, continued to go to the Pewter Pot when I could.

great photo. thanks. any idea what year?

$.20 muffins no less!

circa 1973. I can’t take credit for taking the picture. It’s actually from a fantastic book Harvard Square: An Illustrated History Since 1950 http://www.harvardsquarebook.com/peek.html It is a beautiful and fascinating book, worth every penny. The photos and graphics are beautiful and the book is well organized by decade and geographic location while telling the story of the neighborhood. It will take back and educate as well.

this is a whole lot of Harvard Square reminiscing without anyone bringing up The Tasty.

I’m not over the Tasty yet, not sure I ever will be. Still hard to discuss.

2 Likes

I studied that book as homework when I bartended at Russell House Tavern. Many of my older regulars during the day loved to reminisce about Harvard Square spots and folk. Plus, the restaurant has enlargements on the walls from that book’s photographer!

2 Likes

I’ve always loved the large format prints at RHT. Unfortunately service at the bar is not what it once was. :wink:

Ohh, gotta get that book. Thanks for the tip.

must be Nina’s Corner on the right?

Golden Garden, the only Dongbei style resto in the area, is opening a second branch in Malden soon. Just came off a visit to the Belmont shop, things are good with Amy and her fam.

2 Likes

I was a huge fan when they opened, but their food has been uneven for a while.

anon6418899, this is a great tip as I’ll be in Medford on weekends for the next few months. Thanks! Any rec for this place?

sweet kingdom on main street in malden has closed

thmor da on shirley ave in revere is on vacation until 12/1

The Waffle Cabin at the Community Ice Skating rink Kendall Square won’t be reopening this season. Apparently Waffle Cabin was not offered the opportunity to continue in the same location. My kids will be quite dissapointed. This will probably be enough reason to explore the new City Hall skating path as an alternative to Kendall.

cafe corner bakery at the corner of beach street and harrison ave in chinatown is officially open

Skating path? Tell me more! Will this calm my post-election need to move to a friendly Scandinavian country?

As an aside, if you don’t already know, Somerville’s Veterans rink on Somerville ave is totally free ice time. Schedule online; skate rentals $5. No waffles, but just steps away from Forge and the home made marshmallows in their hot chocolate.

2 Likes

Yes, we love that rink and generally take the kids there on many Sundays. That was my wife’s first comment after hearing about the Waffle Cabin, she said no reason to go to Kendall now since Vets is free anyway. It is nice being outdoors when the weather is good though.

Here’s some information about what they are doing at Boston City Hall. It’s nice to have anything in that abomination of a brick wasteland, and what they have planned here looks VERY nice.

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2016/11/11/holiday-market-skating-path-open-at-city-hall-in-december/

Reported highlights include a11,000-square-foot skating path (rentals & lessons available), Santa’s House, a holiday tree, and a holiday shopping market of 40 chalets with 60 percent local vendors, a lodge serving beer, wine, and nonalcoholic beverages.

Eataly Boston opens this afternoon. I bet the crowds will be insane. https://www.eataly.com/us_en/stores/boston/