Not alcohol- Japanese UCC brand canned teas

I’ve been addicted to their oolong canned tea and to a lesser extent the green tea, both unsweet, for decades. Around the time of the lockdown it disappeared- from everywhere. I’ve scoured the town now for three years looking for it. Today I asked the proprieter of the nearby Korean market if he knew what happened to the company. He said he didn’t know.

Does anybody out there have any idea why they’ve disappeared? I’d like to know if I should stop looking for it.

I looked it up online (duh- never did that) and several places have it, but once again it looks like they priced themselves out of the market. They have a case on Amazon for what turns out to be nearly $5 a can. I’m sure shipping takes a chunk of that, but not even I’m prepared to pay that. They did it before, he price locally went from $1.35, which is pricey, to over $2 per can in most of my local Asian groceries, and after about a year the price went way back down to $1.39 or so. But looks like they did it again. Buttholes. I’m done.

I drink a ton of the Ito En iced green tea varieties…haven’t tried the oolong…maybe give it a shot

Amazon.com : Ito En Tea Golden Oolong Tea, Unsweetened, 16.9 Ounce (Pack of 12) : Grocery Tea Sampler : Grocery & Gourmet Food

2 Likes

I really like the Ito En oolong.

2 Likes

I’ve seen it around, will try it next time. I got some Pokka oolong yesterday, it’s pretty good as well.

1 Like

I bought an Ito En green tea when I got the oolong the other day. It’s really good, in fact it’s a lot better than the UCC green tea. I’m glad there’s a local Asian market right down the street that carries it.

2 Likes

Glad you found something. We have a lot of Japanese stores around here, and I see these canned green tea, oolong, coffee pretty often, but I do not pay too close attention to them. I will see if they carry UCC (just for knowledge)

1 Like

It’d be interesting to know. Oddly enough, we don’t have any Japanese stores here, but the Korean stores carry a lot of Japanese ingredients and the general Asian groceries carry things from all over Asia.

I went to a couple of Japanese stores last week. I see many UCC brand canned/bottled coffee, but not tea. All the canned teas I saw are Pokka and Itoen. They are all prized around US $1.50.

1 Like

I like these two the best but that green label ito en one is good for for me

1 Like

I forgot to add that there were some UCC teas, but they are all milk tea, like these.

1 Like

Ooh, I’ve never seen the cold brew green tea–will have to keep an eye out for that!

1 Like

My friend claims that taste much better.

2 Likes

It’s smooth stuff. Amazon has deals on it sometimes. Then I get a few cases.

1 Like

I know I’ve never seen the cold brew, because I would definitely have bought it.

I don’t doubt that, chem- thank you for your investigation- most informative.