Not a new topic, but...

I picked few of the mystery chiles in various stages of desiccation. Do the chile whisperers, shrinkrap and bogman, have a feel for this type? They’re sweet and hot at the tip but from there they get really really hot.

2 Likes

:blush:

I’m no @bogman , but I think it’s a Sugar Rush Peach, or at least a Baccatum. But I’ve only grown a few Baccatum.

Agreed! Especially if the peppers have a slight pinkish tint when younger. If they are Sugar Rush Peach, removing the core and septae/veins will greatly tame them. I don’t remember if I sent SRP seeds to ewsflash, but I did mail a bunch of those seeds out. I seem to remember thinking it might survive the heat there; so might have included them with the other seeds.
(Sorry, somehow, I missed this post.)

1 Like

When immature, they were nearly white with a slight green tint, if that tells you anything

Yes, when young, they SRP are very pale green, and there can be a lot of them on a plant. The plants are kind of lower than many peppers, spreading wide vs. tall. It’s not easily noticed, unless you look; but, the flowers have green spots on the petals.

1 Like

Well, I got a container of seeds from the fridge, and sure enough, the
Sugar Rush Peach envelope seal was broken, so what I planted was a bunch of those. They’ve overwintered, however, and are growing like weeds right now with the warm temps. I may use some low-percentage shade cloth to keep them from fainting like little princesses when the weather goes supernova. They really tried, and I appreciate that in my garden.

2 Likes

If they produce well, those make delicious pickled peppers. I usually split them and remove the core and seeds, which tames them to taste more like zippy pepperocini. A tad of turmeric helps with the color over time.

2 Likes