Norwegian Cruise Line....

Not a clue.

We’ve found the specialty restaurants to be ‘special.’ Worth the cost.

He wants you to please stop trying to take the piss.
Please leave it in the toilet where it belongs :wink:

That’s a wink, right??? I guess his vulgarity is just over my head.

Haha, yes. “Take the piss” is a British expression basically meaning to try to damage someone’s pride or mock someone.

Thanks. I can swear with the best of them but generally don’t on sites like this. And there was no mockery intended at all. If there’s a dress code on a ship then abide by it or eat elsewhere. And I’ve heard of plenty of people who buy second hand clothes. A man I know got a great looking tuxedo on eBay for a cruise.

For what it’s worth, “take the piss” and “piss off” aren’t considered swearing in British English the same way they are here. And hey, my tux is second-hand, which is just fine for as often as I need it (rarely).

Thanks, again, kiddo. I assume “flying fuck” is swearing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shall we get back to Jr’s original question of cruise dining options?

During discussions please feel free to disagree. but please try to foster a kind/ helpful environment for knowledge exchange.
https://www.hungryonion.org/faq

4 Likes

Marcella! So nice of you to join us here at Hungry Onion!!:grinning:

1 Like

That’s not nice. If it was Marcella, all offending and non-offending posts would have been removed and multiple users would have been suspended/banned. I’m kinda’ glad HO ended the pissing contest :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You might enjoy/appreciate this link. I’ve found them pretty reliable.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=642&pgtype=dining

My apologies, HO.

Most times when someone is obviously trying to wind me up, I ignore it. However, on occasion, things get the better of me. I’ll try much harder to remember not to engage with winders-up and just walk away from the thread - as I’ll do with this one, now.

A few years ago, my cousin went on a honeymoon cruise on, I believe, Carnival. She swore that the staterooms had taps built into the walls with pre-mixed cocktails: Long Island Iced Tea, Cosmo, and Mojito, and that the rooms had those foot-long plastic mugs waiting for use. Suffice it to say that they don’t remember the food very well but did recall a hot dog buffet, which seems about right.

3 Likes

Oceania Cruise Lines has wonderful food in the main dining room and the specialty restaurants are no additional charge. The buffet is both high in quality and has a wide selection. All restaurants are overseen by head chef Jacque Pepin. The dress code on Oceania is country club casual. Jackets are never required but some, (including me) bring and wear them.

Isn’t Oceania in the much higher price range?

And I agree that “country club casual” can certain encompass a nice jacket.

I haven’t noticed anyone mention Crystal Cruise Line so I would like to report that, with one stunning exception, everything we ate during a recent 14 day cruise was excellent.
(Exception = breakfast in the main dining room. It was disorganized, slow and the only time in my life that I have been served Eggs Benedict with hard, brown hollandaise sauce.)
For the rest, from MDR to buffets to casual dining to specialty restaurants Crystal’s food was much above “standard”. I have framed a menu from one of our favorite meals and it hangs alongside other favs from many other restaurants we’ve enjoyed over the years.

I cannot speak to price point comparison between NCL and Crystal but know that we’ve already booked another Crystal cruise for later this year. I look forward to many stellar meals (and no, I’m not a company shill), The food and service were extraordinary by any measure. No request went unfulfilled. EX: in the specialty Italian restaurant, I asked if the gnocchi could be sauced with a Gorgonzola cream instead of the written sauce. It was accomplished with a smile and was delicious. One other thing I should mention is the all-inclusive aspect of this cruise line. That means no tipping. Also, alcohol is gratis so there are no bar bills, no upcharge for wine with dinner, etc. In fact, rooms feature a small fridge that is replenished daily with the beverage of choice. Our steward apologetically told us “Unfortunately, there is only one bottle per person per day” and it matters not what that bottle choice is. Fresh ice magically appeared as well. It was lovely.

As Catholiver says, it is a very nice option to order selected items from the menu either in half portions or twice as much of one item, skipping others.

"I cannot speak to price point comparison between NCL and Crystal "

There is a huge difference in price.

You get what you pay for.

1 Like

Ain’t that the truth :wink: