Norwegian Cruise Line....

Have not a clue what that means.

As others have said, dressing up on occasion can be loads of fun. A fine dining experience is one of those occasions. Even my sons-in-law in their 30s put on their suits and ties at times.

1 Like

I guess I think of the attire of the other guests as part of the atmosphere. A stained tablecloth doesn’t truly make the food taste not as good but it certainly effects the overall feeling about the meal. For me anyway.

That’s a good way to put it. You can serve me the same meal on a paper plate with wine in a plastic cup or on fine china and a crystal wine glass. Guess which one I’ll like better?

2 Likes

Same as me. But your analogy is bollocks.

If I am at a high end, expensive restaurant I will enjoy the dinner if I, my dining companions and those around put some effort into their dress. I don’t expect a suit and tie, but a jacket for the men and suitably dressed up for the women. If we are dressed and those around us aren’t, I won’t feel it’s an “occasion”. You don’t agree. You go to your restaurants and I’ll go to mine.

1 Like

We were in Seattle recently and there was a restaurant I wanted to try. But I had forgotten to pack some nice slacks. Only had ‘nice’ jeans. The resto wouldn’t have minded at all but I would have so we didn’t go.

1 Like

As you make a distinction that I wouldnt, I take it that your “high end expensive” restaurants require jackets. Whereas my “high end expensive” ones don’t.

FWIW, I’ve eaten at what I believe to be the UK’s three most expensive restaurants. The 2 & 3 star places I mention above are two of them. Dinner at them is £159 and £160 respectively, excluding drinks, of course - I’ll let you do the currency conversion for wherever you are. As I have already mentioned, there are clearly cultural differences, on the jacket question, between where I am in the world and where you are. But, as we’ve already agreed, in both places there are few restaurants that still have such outdated rules so I find it easy to avoid them.

1 Like

To be clear, you find the rules outdated, I do not.

1 Like

To be equally clear, it is the restaurant owners who have found the rules outdated, which is why they have changed them.

I have absolutely no problem with a restaurant setting whatever dress code it wishes. Customers can then decide whether they wish to eat there or not. It’s no different from a restaurant deciding that it will, or will not, serve alcohol. Or serve meat. Or have a fixed no choice menu. It is entirely their business model.

By the by, my “eating out” clothes are “proper” trousers and shoes (not jeans and trainers) and a collared shirt. That’s what I wear whether it’s a Michelin 3* or the local pizza place. I think I look pretty good for a middle aged, fat bloke. :sunglasses: I’m not fussed what other customers might wear, so long as it conforms to the restaurant’s dress code and I don’t have any problem if someone chooses to wear a suit and tie to Pizza Express.

1 Like

Since there is a sub-topic of dress code I will add I wear a jacket to dinner every night. I only wear a tie on the Captains night/dinner but a jacket every night. Surprisingly the ship doesn’t have tuxedo rentals as some others I’ve cruised with in the past have had. I forgot my bow tie and was looking to rent one to no avail.

2 Likes

Also the upgrade restaurant, Cagney’s Steakhouse, was a vast improvement. Serving CAB not prime or aged, it was still far better than the quality (or lack there of) the normal dining room.

1 Like

Maybe that’s where we went wrong. Our upgrade place was, allegedly, French. Dismal. Can’t recall what it was called.

By the by, when we were there, the ship’s Maitre d’ stopped by and had a chat. Impressive job - in charge of all serving staff in the public restaurants, etc and the several crew dining facilities. Turned out he had started his career at a hotel literally five minutes away from home.

1 Like

Maybe it’s so important for US Americans to “dress up” for restaurants, because at any other time, many think sweats are the perfect attire for everywhere else '-D

4 Likes

We’ve cruised with Princess multiple times and Norwegian during our last one. We were so disappointed by Norwegian’s food that we decided never to cruise with them ever again. Completely unlike our previous experiences with Princess. We also did specialty dining for one night at their hibachi restaurant; that was probably our best meal there, but that’s not really saying much.

That reminds me that we actually did try that French place as well. I don’t think we ate anything that was above mediocre. Definitely not worth the extra price.

I first cruised with Norweigien 20+ years ago and was always more than pleased with the experience, food included. Norweigien and Royal Caribbean were my preferred lines over Celebrity or Carnival, but after this experience I really don’t know if I would sail with them again.

I think you are overall correct, Americans in general have taken a significant decline in their acceptable fashion. It amazes me to watch sporting events from the 50’s or 60’s men in suits and ties in the stands watching the game, now it’s shorts and cut off t-shirts with they gut hanging out from under their shirt. We have become a very class-less society as a whole.

3 Likes

I bet you got the sense of it, though.

And they keep on their Gimme caps when sitting down at an indoor table.

1 Like

I was about 15 years old. My Dad decided he wanted to visit his old stomping grounds to connect with the “kids” he grew up with. HE INVITED ME TO COME ALONG! I remember sitting on more than a few curbs waiting for him to finish a visit with his buds. I also remember wandering down to a true diner (while he slept in) to have my first taste of a real New York bagel. I remember being at the turnstiles at Acqueduct Race Track when the teller told us: “Your kids not wearing socks. He can’t come in.” (I was wearing a white tee, cut off shorts and grungy sneakers) Dad paid $2 to get me a pair of knee-high black socks to wear. I remember the embarrassment sitting on the hot concrete approach to the track grandstand, peeling off those sneakers from sticky feet and meeting the dress code for admittance to the track.

Just shortly after, on the concourse, my Dad ran into a looong lost acquaintance. They did their meet-up salutations, and then this truly gruff guy glances at me and comments: " Hey, kid. That look doesn’t work for you."

It was the Summer of 1961. It was the year I committed to never be underdressed for anything. Or, any place, ever again.

6 Likes