Northeast expat discussion

Sorry about my p.m. I thought I was replying to Ernie, whom I know from a past life, it’s not my habit to correct strangers.

And your correction was?

That Grand Central Terminal is different from Grand Central Station (I.E. the train terminal vs. the U.S. Post Office.) Also maybe we should hunt down the elusive pressed duck in Oakland together.

Dang, I usually get that right (Station vs. Terminal).

I’m always up for good duck, but it would have to be at lunch time. I can’t eat much dinner anymore (reflux and hiatial hernia). We should try the China Village version, too.

Where on LI? I grew up on the East End where most restaurants closed for the winter.

I grew up near St. Anthony’s high school in South Huntington.

How far east did you grow up, and has it been built up since?

Amagansett. You know the town of East Hampton was early in coming up with zoning restrictions that avoided jamming too many houses on property so it actually doesn’t appear all that different from when I was growing up. But the roads are definitely much more crowded. I try to go back in late August/early September when the crowds have died down and the ocean is at its warmest.

1 Like

Not that many people that can say they grew up in Amagansett :wink: September after Labor Day is my most favorite time out there.

I spent the summer of 1959 in Aguebogue with my cousin. Was it East Hampton that undergrounded all the utilities and required that all commercial retail buildings be painted white? Are these ordinances still in place?

And why is East Hampton two words while Westhampton and Southampton (which make if an “Ampton,” not a Hampton) one?

No, utilities are still above ground - as a mater of fact my mom’s power goes out regularly with a significant winter storm because of downed lines. No mandatory white painting.

I don’t know why East Hampton is two words. Also there is no North Hampton.

Late September/early October is the season for local bay scallops if you are out then.
They are really incredible, rich and sweet. I rarely go out to restaurants when I am back. I just hit the seafood shops and gorge on local seafood - lobster, clams, mussels, fluke, striped bass.

Actually Nov 1 is the first legal day of the season now, and I have a few roadside stands that I like to frequent. Worth every penny!

Another big favorite of mine in the summer is blowfish (or whatever other name you want to call them :wink: ) they are quite abundant lately. Lucky us!

Believe it or not, there IS a Northampton…it’s up north though, just below the Riverhead circle. And only one word! The only things of note there are Cranberry Bog Park and the bowling alley though.

November 1 - ahh maybe that’s why I’ve missed them the past couple of times I’ve been out. Yes, the bay scallops are expensive but worth it!

In case you decide to take a trip…it might actually be the first Monday of November, to be exact. I looked it up and it was Nov 7 this year. The end of the season varies though, I seem to remember last year ran sometime into March. Not long ago it ended early January though.

I stand corrected, Grand Central Terminal it is. The place I refer to is Grand Central Oyster Bar.

I’m not sure what area we are talking about, but I lived in Northampton, MA when I was younger. It was cold and muddy, and liquor stores were called “package stores”.

That whole area has “package” stores instead of liquor stores. I lived right over the border in Canaan NY, and never got used to the weird soil they had there myself. Not so easy to grow stuff for sure.

We passed through Northampton MA on occasion going up north, but never actually stopped. Not sure if there was anything to stop for; I don’t even remember a restaurant or the like being there. Somehow I missed the liquor store, but probably because we were headed up New Hampshire way :wink:

Not much in the way of seafood up there, but I had some mighty fine venison on occasion.

1 Like

“So I have myself a drink, another little drink, and then I have me just a little drink more, and when I wake up in the mornin’ great god my kidneys are sore. Because the bag I’m in is just a package from the package store.”… Martin Mull.
When I lived in Magnolia Mass. there was a pharmacy cum package store run by a shady M.D. who would write prescriptions for booze for alcoholic patients so they could make Sunday purchases without driving to New Hampshire.

That’s interesting, and you know, not totally terrible really. My mom wasn’t an alcoholic by any means but sometimes she had last minute guests on a Sunday and she’d call the proprietor who lived in the back and…no big deal, since the stuff had to be in a “package” anyway so who knew! I get so tired of bureaucracy sometimes :wink: PS the prices in New Hampshire weren’t all that cheap anyway, but whatever, that’s another story.

Oh and thanks for reminding me of Martin Mull!!