North Beach dinner recs

For the holidays, Lady Whorfin surprised me w/ tix to a show in early February at Club Fugazi in North Beach.

I’ve not been down that way since the late 90s, and have no idea what the scene is like anymore. A quick glance at Google Maps shows a promising Neopolitan pizza joint or an Izakaya with a block.

Anyone got any favorites? Anything to steer clear of?

Tony’s? Yeah it’s good, and famous. Put your name on the waitlist early, however.

1 Like

There are a few options depending which cuisine/dishes you would like to try - Flour&Water Pizzeria, Sotto Mare (seafood), Eight Tables (high(er) end Chinese), China Live

2 Likes

Trestle is a real bargain at 3 courses for $42 (used to be $35). Their menu changes daily, so you can either make a reservation well in advance and take your chances or check their website on the day of the show.

Closer to Club Fugazi, there’s Red Window for tapas.

2 Likes

Sotto Mare, or if you want something really casual The Italian Homemade Co.

1 Like

Cotogna
Z&Y Peking Duck

1 Like

Some of these have already been mentioned:

+1 to Cotogna one of my favorite Italian restaurants in the city
Georgian Cheese Boat for Georgian food such as Khachapuri and Kinkhali
Original Joe’s for old school Italian American
Capo’s for Chicago style deep dish pizza and Chicago style thin crust pizza
Mario’s Bohemian Cigar Store Cafe for a great meatball sandwich on focaccia
+1 Flour+Water Pizzeria
+1 Italian Homemade Company for some great fresh pasta served on paper plates
+1 Trestle haven’t been here in awhile but it’s a deal
There’s also a new branch of El Farolito there if you’re looking for a burrito.

1 Like

I always go to El Farolito 24th Street/Alabama. I get the Super Chile Relleno burrito, about $13, is about 2 meals for me. A friend went to El Aguila in Pleasant Hill, a veggie burrito was $23 + surcharge for using cc (she was with 4 others), + tax & tip! She disliked it cause veggies were way soft, overcooked.

1 Like

i eat at Trestle a few times a year (actually have a reservation with them in a couple weeks). note that the actual price of the meal is $53. i always ask for one of the corner tables and often bring my own wine ($25 corkage).

2 Likes

I forgot to mention Curry Leaf on Columbus between Lombard and Chestnut. I haven’t eaten in the actual restaurant, but my workplace gets catering from them all the time and the food is really good.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, Curry leaf is good. My old office was a block away and I’d get it for lunch.

Re: Flour and Water pizza if you are in a hurry you can just get slices in the back, they have a few tables (entrance is right across the street from Tony’s Slice place.

I always enjoy Italian Homemade as well, casual and fast.

There’s also Bodega, wine bar with food that gets good reviews but I’ve never been.

1 Like

Did your friend use a food app to order? Their menu says only $13 for a veggie burrito a few months ago? I looked them up because $23 for a burrito is steep.

Ate in house, guess they charged extra for more vegetables because the chicken burrito was $14.50 + cc surcharge, tax, tip.

I was trying to post her receipt here but couldn’t delete her cc info.

Omg. Thank you all. Lots of awesome choices.

Off to investigate menus. :slight_smile:

Ended up at Flour + Water. Now I have no doubt you can get a good neopolitan marg at many north beach spots, this is a pretty excellent one:

Just the right bit of char, light and crispy crust, rich, bright tomatoes, fresh basil. A+

Fior fi latte or salted caramel soft serve for dessert. Boozy passion fruit slushy got a thumbs up from the partner.

The dining room is CROWDED and VERY noisy. We ate in the smaller back space which was more self service but way more pleasant.

4 Likes