Nonstick roasting pans

IME there is a lot of flavor in the drippings of a nonstick pan, probably just as much as with the dry fond of a standard pan - and with less chance that the drippings will burn before the cook realizes how dark and dry they are. If you canā€™t closely monitor your pan, a nonstick is a good option.

1 Like

Once again, you put yourself atop and ahead of the authorities. Larousse, Bocuse, Peterson, Lopez-Alt, McGee, innumerable others, no matter, all wrong.

God Himself, all His Angels and Saints could disagree with your conclusions and workarounds, and you would still claim to be right.

I think Iā€™m done with this topic.

Great, go your own way.

That Scanpan Classic non stick roasting pan looks pretty good. Not a bad deal at SLT.

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1087618/?affsrcid=AFF0005&utm_term=96771040181brandscanpan%26custom2&adpos=1o2&creative=45092912141&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw4dm6BRCQhtzl6Z6N4i0SJADFPu1nIFamVhY_9dR3EtFbOIUdg3f4FnQKbVKZ6FNpP54EhBoC1R3w_wcB

Yes, thatā€™s a good price.

Iā€™m replying to myself here, so as not to start another war. But in the interest of completeness, Harold McGee got back to me. Hereā€™s his take, FWIW:

ā€œAnd about nonstick pans and deglazing: I agree that they donā€™t do a great job, and would say the main reason is that a nonstick hydrophobic surface encourages the fluids cooked out of the food to stick to the food instead, so less material remains in the pan. I also have the impression that the surface encourages sautĆ©ing juices to form a water-in-oil emulsion that buffers the reactive stuff from direct pan heat and delays Maillard browning.ā€

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like

Interesting idea. Wonder if others also have similar views on this.

Not engaging. Take it up with Harold (and all the rest) if you like.

I will just ask everyone to keep in mind that please debate, but please donā€™t target participants.

Please feel free to disagree with others, but please do not disparagingly label othersā€™ ideas that you do not agree with.

Forum rules here: https://www.hungryonion.org/faq