NOLA - R'Evolution, dinner, 4/2/2016

With the conference over, we joined some other people and dined at R’evolution Saturday night. This is, by far, the fanciest place we ate at the entire trip, with very formal service, table captains in suits or dresses, waiters in white, the heavy damask table cloths, the whole bit . . .

For starters, we had “Death by Gumbo,” one of their classics, along with Espresso-crusted Venison Carpaccio, Black Truffle Beef Tartare, their Raw Vegetable Salad, the Bacon-cured Foie Gras, and the appropriately named “Pig Out” Board (house-made charcuterie).

Entrées included Braised Pork Cheek Tagliatelle, Seared Sea Scallops and Foie Gras, a Petit Filet Mignon, and the Truffle Risotto.

For dessert, the four of us shared the White Chocolate Bread Pudding Crème Brûlée, and the Turbodog Stout Chocolate Cake.

Everything was WONDERFUL!

//////////\

Wines included a bottle of the n.v. Champagne Pierre Moncuit “Hugues de Coulmet” Blanc de Blancs (Le Mesnil-sur-Oger), followed by a bottle of the 2013 Daniel Bouland “Delys” Morgon.

And this is where I “hate” R’evolution . . .

OK, so I don’t hate it, BUT – this is the kind of place with a Wine List of some 10,000 selections (according to their website). They have got a truly phenomenal selection of wines – pages and pages of great Burgundies and Bordeaux, high-end Oregon Pinots, “cult” Napa Cabs, and an incredible assortment of tête de cuvée Champagnes.

But who needs a wine list with ten – TEN! – different vintages of Château Mouton Rothschild (including a 1928!), more than 100 different Champagnes (not including sparkling wines from elsewhere in France and around the world), and over 200 different bottlings of Grand Cru red Burgundy???

There is NO DOUBT it is an impressive wine list, to be sure, but it is also a ridiculously expensive one! The Champagnes range from $105 per 750ml bottle (the one we purchased) to a whopping $8908 for a 750ml bottle of 1996 Champagne Krug “Clos d’Ambonnay” Grand Cru.

(How does they come up with the extra $8? They never heard of rounding? They must have, the 1999 La Tâche is an even $16,000 for a 750ml bottle.)

I don’t object to “expense account wine lists,” and certainly R’evolution is in the Royal Sonesta Hotel, home to a number of conferences, etc. But EVERY wine list should also contain some options – good wines at affordable prices, a (relative) “bargain” if you will, that will enable those not on an expense account but who love great food an opportunity to enjoy dining there again and again. This is extremely difficult to do here.

1 Like

Good review, I’ve heard a lot about this place. I think I’ll order a Sazerac instead though!

I’d get the Baudry Chinon 2013 at $50…the hotel is first-rate, with a lovely rooftop setting…