Nj throwback thread, what places would you bring back?

Because I’m nothing more than an over grown child and can’t wait till tomorrow here’s my list.

La Fontana, New Brunswick NJ. This was the definition of fine dining, from the cherub fountain when you walked in to the thick valour wallpaper the chandeliers and mirrored ceilings the place oozed opulence. 5 servers including the captain per table the service matched the quality of food and surroundings, I’ve never experienced anything like La Fontana in its prime.

Caruso’s, Plainfield NJ. Small Italian restaurant tucked away off of Rt 28/Front St was this gem. It’s were I got engaged and where you could find me nearly ever Sat night in the early 90’s. Husband and wife team he was the chef she worked the front of the house and they provided and excellent fine dining Italian experience. Then he had to get involved with one of his dishwashers and the whole thing, including their marriage went down the drain.

The Luna Bell Diner Rt 1&9 Woodbridge NJ. When I was a child my father owned and operated The Meadows Diner on Dowd Avenue in Elizabeth. (my father lived in a trailer behind the diner as he and my mother were first married, I was literally conceived and born into the business) He would get up at 4am on Sundays to go to the diner and do his baking for the week, I would join him. On our way we would stop and have breakfast at the Luna Bell diner, I’m almost tearing up typing about this thinking back on the memories of how special it felt going to work with him. Great memories and even better home fries!!

Pumptown Corners, Edison New Jersey. This was my family’s restaurant growing up. I learned how to cook, had my first drink and kissed my first girl (a hostess I think that thought I could get her a raise) and learned everything a young man needs to know about the business. If you’ve never been in the industry it’s hard to explain what it’s like to grow up in the business, my bus stop was at the restaurant. I would go to school take the bus here, do my homework in the office put on my apron and be to work by 4pm. Washing dishes, then salad and prep to cooking behind the line over the years I learned every aspect of the business here.

2000 Park Ave. South Plainfield NJ. Where I cut my teeth in the business outside my family. I was a manager at 18 years old and my Sr. year of high school drove from school to here and stayed till closing. 18 years old, getting paid $9. Per hour (less than half an adult manager would make) too young to drink on premises and too honest to steal I was every restaurant owners dream come true. While at my family’s restaurant I learned the business here I learned about life. I continued to work here even after starting my current business simply because I loved the place, the family that owned it and the business in general.

Local to Monmouth County

American Pizza Kitchen, Tinton Falls NJ. Where the current CJ Mc Loons is currently located this was a small open kitchen family Italian restaurant when I moved to this area 20+ years ago. For $12.95 you couldn’t get a better meal anywhere. One of the best fried calamari I’ve ever had, even my father in law from Brooklyn loved the place!!

Hanna’s Rt. 35 Eatontown NJ. This place was never great but for whatever reason we liked it and went frequently.

Ashes, Red Bank NJ. Caveat their 1st year of business only When Ashes first opened as a true cigar club and restaurant it was just cool. It helped usher in the “hip” Red Back scene and for that first year it was a neat concept and experience which was well executed, but short lived.

That’s my list for now. My thumb is numb!!

1 Like

Damn, I loved that little place.

Their menu was a classic - hamburgers, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, french fries and a great steak sandwich. Toward the end they added some green things.

The calls from the counter people to the grill man went something like this - “1 burger; two cheese; 1 steak, three potato, 2 dogs” and the grill guy just kept the beat. There would be 8 or ten orders working on that grill at once.

The place started out as a nicely built (brick) outside stand. The front was later enclosed and two dining areas added, on on either side of the grill . The place was furnished with actual antiques and anchored by a large grandfather clock. As time went on the tables and chairs were subjected to some really badly done repairs and the clock stopped working. But until the day they closed, the food was as good as it even was.

Sorry for going on a bit - but as I said, I really did love that little place.

Hey @NotJrvedivici how bout Charlie Browns in Metuchen so you could collect what they owe you?

That was wiped out in their bankruptcy.

The Quay in Sea Bright and up the road, Mumfords in No. Long Branch. Joe&Maggies or BAT - Joe Romanowski was one terrific chef and I probably miss his places more than anything.

And for quirky shits & giggles as to having fun, being young, and putting on the feedbag. Long John’s in the Higlands for ones lobster jag, and the P House for humongous prime rib dinners.

And a nod to Sir John’s in North Brunswick when my wife worked for J&J

1 Like

Nice list Jr. Do you remember my buddy chris from ashes? He was a bartender there.

How about sals in red bank? Do you recall the week when they did the “turn back the clock” nights where dishes were like 1.50 or something ridiculous?

1 Like

I might remember him to see but not by name. I never went to Sals either, that’s where B2 is now correct?

Sals had the best German Chocolate cake, until one day a waitress told us they got it from Caputos. Somehow when we bought it from Caputo’s it just wasn’t the same. I also miss Gutenplans bakery (north west corner of what was the Eatontown circle). A gazillion years ago the Inlet Cafe would serve all you can eat steamers for literally pennies. I miss the after affects … I also miss the pecan pies from Gertrude Browns

1 Like

Did you know that there is a Jules in Toms Rivers? I haven’t been, but the owners are family of the original location. I also have fond memories of the locations in Jersey City.

I’m not originally from the area, so my time period is limited to the late 1980s when I met my better half. The one place I miss the most is the original Charley’s in Long Branch. Egg and shrimp salad, huge piece of prime rib, and a loaded baked potato. Yum.

1 Like

Circa 1972 Northern NJ, does anyone remember a seafood restaurant called Frick’s … It had a partial water view. I had whole stuffed lobster there for the first time … Experienced as a tween it was very special. It was one of the few restaurants we patronized when we lived in NJ, most of the cooking and eating was done at home.

Frick’s was this the place named after the owner as the result of his failed partnership with his brother Frack?

1 Like

laughing out loud

1 Like

Does Gratzel’s bakery in Teaneck count? Loved their checkerboard.

There was an amazing German bakery on Leonia Ave, in Fort Lee in the same shopping center
as the ShopRite… Thinking about these places really makes me angry about the shit that is passed off
as food these days… I suppose I should be grateful that at least for a portion of my life food was food and delicious and accessible.

1 Like

Chardas and Aranka’s, both Hungarian restaurants near New Brunswick. Sadly, I don’t think there are any Hungarian restaurants left in that area. :disappointed:

The Chippery in Fanwood, which had a run of some 40 years, had the very best fish and onion rings. Chips? Not so much.

Don’s in Livingston for a terrific burger. The place was always packed.

Yupp, the Inlet Cafe and steamers. Went there often, and you couldn’t beat that deal. Then again, one could buy them at 3 lbs for a $1 at the supermarket or the fish store at some point in time back then. They were that cheap. Just like mussels, just like calamari.

There was a steak restaurant on the Asbury Park Circle and they had train cars for dining room.
At the time they had a great salad bar and baby back ribs (mid to late 70’s) - can’t think of the name. And where the Wegmans is on Rt 35 in Ocean, there was a funky Hawaiian chinese restaurant, same time period ? also can’t remember the name. There was also a kosher deli on Rt. 9 in Freehold in a self standing building, east side, just south of the raceway at the maybe 50 feet south of intersection of Helen Ave and Rt 9. Also can’t remember the name, but I can remember eating there ca. 1980, probably before Fred and Murray’s opened in Pond Rd shopping center. Had many meals with my parents at those places, wish to enter the time machine now …

Damn…all you can eat steamers sound great. That was a before my time but let me follow up with my second vote, park hills in allenhurst.

The first Sunday I walked into this place I knew it was too good to last.

1.00 drafts
5.00 pitchers
10 cent wings
2.00 pizzas
2.00 nachos
“Talented” wait staff too!

This was just too much to handle. They even had a lot of tvs so you could watch the games comfortably.

This place got so hectic once the word got out that dudes starting tailgating in the parking lot. It opened at 11 and you had to get there ealier than that to get in line…crazy stuff! This was 04 05 I believe.

@junkliss Was the steak place Victoria Station? If so it was a chain; we had one up in NNJ in Whippany as well, and that was our go-to for family dinners (along with Chinese food and trips to the Ironbound). The last time I had food from VS was for my h.s. graduation party; we got trays and trays and TRAYS of ribs, ended up with lots of leftovers, and they went from the freezer to the grill all summer, as I recall. :slight_smile: