NJ NYE Dining Out

For over 35 years my NYE was chilling out at home with family (pre divorce) or a special friend (post divorce) So this year my special friend roped me into a full blown $195 pp “party” at Cafe Luna in Old Bridge.
I like the food there but eating here is like eating inside a jet engine, yes it’s incredibly loud . I know 6 of the 12 people not close friends but I have recently went to Italy with them and it was OK.
I am dreading this like a root canal without meds. Anyone over 45 here go out for anything like this anymore? If so is heavy drinking and Uber the only way to survive? PLEASE ADVISE!!! I do consider NYE amateur night.
Happy New Year to all the NJ HO’s may the new year bring health & great food

1 Like

For starters, no matter where anyone’s going, NYU is the night Uber. Secondly, I wish you godspeed. I’ve never been there, but it IS amateur night, so drink up and enjoy! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I assume you mean “NYE is the night to Uber”, but I suspect there will be long waits for the Uber, and (if they still have surge pricing) it will be expensive. And you still are dealing with all those NYE drinkers who didn’t Uber.

As for the noise, wear ear plugs.

We’re staying home and having the traditional — for us — chip dip and movies (NIGHT TIDE and CARNIVAL OF SOULS), with M&Ms and something non-alcoholic at midnight. I know some people miss Dick Clark, but I still miss Guy Lombardo. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I am not a fan of any of those TV parties, for me it was movies some decent adult beverages and phone calls to my family then bed.
Wish I was doing that but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do?,Enjoy🍷

2 Likes

I would hit Uber and Lyft early to lock in a car and expect a huge upswing in surge pricing. Might be easier to see if you can reserve a limo if any place has an opening left. Paid 130 and waited75 min for an Uber after sea hear now festival in Asbury few months ago

Is cafe Luna at all related to the one in system island?

I feel for you either way. I had resolved to never again go out for NYE. Cpl drinks some food and asleep by 1205. At least it’s a weekend this year and no work.

@Ragtopssk snd every other HO please have a safe and healthy night and thanks to all of you for participating here. Hopefully a great 24 to you all

4 Likes

@Ragtopssk @Metsfan86 is right! You should lock down that Uber right now… And/or hire a local driver or car service, especially since there’s a group of you! Even if just a few couples use it together it would be worth it…

1 Like

Yes someone smarter than me has secured a car for the group.

4 Likes

Ride has been secured by someone smarter than me.
As far as I know Cafe Luna does have a place on Staten Island, the food is good normally as are the bartenders. The drawback is that the place has zero sound deadening materials. My secret weapon is I wear hearing aids and I will have to either remove them or turn them way down. Just found out that a DJ has been booked, this could be a very long night.

3 Likes

Went as expected lousy food, too loud music, terrible service but a good time was had inspite of this. I personally would never recommend Cafe Luna before this experience and it is now set in stone.

</>
HOORAY :wine_glass:

5 Likes

Well, congratulations on getting through it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unless its at someone’s house, I’m not going out NYE. Even at that, I’d prefer to be home so I can drink whatever I want and not have to worry about driving. Last time out on NYE was three years ago at a friend’s house. Last time at a restaurant was probably 7 or 8 years ago when my ex and I went out to Kennett Square, PA (the mushroom capital of the world) and they drop an enormous illuminated mushroom at midnight. However, it was only mildly fun and despite being a major tourist attraction, it was a little too “yeehaw” for my taste.

When I was a child, my family did many NYEs at The Poet’s Inn In Matawan, now Brass Rail. Ton of fun but different times.

Could not pay me to be out on the road that night, and if anyone in my ever-shrinking social circle were to invite me, I’d insist we party at my place. Anyone who wants to stay over can pick a couch, and even the floor is better than a DUI or casket.

And honestly, its not an “older person” gripe. Among friends my age (mid 20s-mid 30s), not one was at a restaurant/bar last night. All were at someone’s house.

6 Likes

It was an open bar :wine_glass:the only thing that saved me​:sunglasses:

1 Like

My current favorite is NewYears day brunch or being somewhere other than USA, got shamed into going & btw just got a call from the friend that arranged this mess and she apologized for even thinking that going to Cafe Luna on NYE would be fun. Case closed St Kitts is calling for me for February, March . Happy New Year :wine_glass:

2 Likes

I do enjoy going out whether it is NYE or just a night out dancing in Newark. I just don’t drink much or at all as I am the driver.
Last year we went to Asbury Festhalle and had a great time. This year had an early dinner at Charley’s, watched the fireworks on the boardwalk, then went home to see in the new year.
Today we went to check out the Sons of Ireland Polar Bear Plunge. I am going to do it next year and wanted to do some advance scouting. Thinking of doing the whole package. Stay at Ocean Place NYE inc their party and the fireworks, then doing the plunge the next day. The plunge also includes 3 hr live band and party afterwards.
Happy New Year everyone.
Clams at Charley’s were very tasty.

9 Likes

We did an early dinner at semolina this year for new years. Fun and festive. Home by 8 pm. No fixed menu or anything annoying. First year we have been home in at least 7 years. Happy New Year everyone!

5 Likes