NJ Food News

For months, I’ve been asking the crew at The Greek Spot in Ocean if they know what’s going in to the large empty (former laundromat) space next to them. The last time I inquired, they said “a food hall…” and it was said with great confidence. Today’s APP confirms that! At the risk of awakening the APP trolls, I’m just sharing a bit of the info:

The (owners of the building) have been renovating the space since the laundromat relocated last summer. The food hall will feature Japanese, Peruvian, Mexican, Venezuelan and Thai food, all prepared by New Jersey restaurants.

As of press time, (the owner) could confirm that one participating restaurant is Tumi Peruvian Restaurant in Elizabeth.

“These are five separate (restaurants) that specialize in their cuisine,” he said, adding that another could be added as well.

I, for one, am VERY excited about the prospects…

2 Likes

4 years ago, I wanted to do this same thing in Red Bank.

I still think this is a great idea!

2 Likes

The question is how will that impact the Greek Spot? I can easily see people thinking “if I’m going there let me check out the other place” and splitting their order, or worse, skipping GS all together.

1 Like

Funny, I’m NOT worried about the G Spot! Every time I pick up from there I make the same comment–that place must be a gold mine. :slight_smile: Part of the reason I kept asking about the space next door was I was secretly hoping maybe they’d expand and have a small full restaurant!

1 Like

APP “troll” here, just pointing out that reading a local site to see what people are talking about/interested in is part of reporting. I don’t come here to post links to our stories (though I politely request that members do, if they’re going to share our content.) I’m here because I love learning about NJ food, just like all of you.

4 Likes

I’m told by Dean of International Bites that the plan is to have the food hall connect to the Greek Spot (the work is still being done inside, at the moment). His family owns the whole building, so they want each component to do well. And he says the Greek Spot owners are excited; while the building isn’t great for foot traffic, new people coming to eat there is good for their restaurant, too.

5 Likes

Cool article about the Asbury Park Food Collective in today’s APP… the most interesting thing I learned was that it was started by the owner of MOGO! I follow the APFC and many of their tenants on social media; there’s a new Indian street food company that I’m hoping will start taking non-catering orders at some point. TBD!

1 Like

If you live or travel in Northern NJ, DAS sells their samosas to Indian shops there. I’d be happy to send you a list.

Yes, please let us know!

Good article and excellent concept. The only disappointing thing about the APFC is the lack of retail sales at the location.

1 Like

The ladies at DAS told me they sell to Patel Brothers in Old Bridge, Subzi Mandi in Hamilton, Hot Breads and Pakvaan in Edison, and Apna Bazaar in Dayton.

1 Like

It is a bummer. Not zoned for it thought. Maybe one day!

AGREED! Although you can pre-order mutiny barbecue (I have), and if I read it correctly, the Indian food can be ordered if you need catering.

1 Like

And… just saw this:

2 Likes

The smoked meat from Berg’s is worth the UberEats charge, btw. SO good.

1 Like

Probably a stupid question and coming from someone that does not use UberEats – if I’m visiting AP, how do I get a delivery from Berg’s via UberEats?

Pretty sure you can order on their website

https://www.bergssmokedmeat.com/

Spinelli’s has moved their stand to under the trees – better for the produce, but harder to see when heading west. They currently have a big selection: eggplant, tomatoes, cucumbers, lots of different peppers, and fresh peaches. Most things are $3 a container, and you just deposit the money in a cash slot, so bring plenty of small bills.

1 Like

is it really montreal-style smoked meat? I need to find a lunchtime opportunity to head down and try it.

1 Like

You can order online but you have to have it delivered. You cannot go there and pick it up.

From his site: “We offer delivery ordering directly through our website by clicking “Order Online” on the top of our page, Doordash, and on Grubhub.”

1 Like