Next two weeks in Brooklyn

@shrinkrap, do you have a wish list of national or regional cuisines that are underrepresented at home and that you’d still like to try here?

1 Like

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Good question!

Not really. This trip isn’t really about the food. Since I am here for two weeks, I suppose I should try to normalize it, and cook, rather than eating out a lot. Mostly I am not in the position to get very far most days, but maybe on the weekend or a holiday. I was initially wanting to take advantage of places I could walk to, but much of it seems sort of “filling”, for lack of a better word.

I thought I wanted a chopped cheese sandwich, but after countless opportunities, I still haven’t gotten one.

Same with a breakfast egg sandwich

OTOH…

I think “Chinese” food might more often be from a different region here in NYC (vs San Francisco Bay area), so that would be interesting.

Pastrami is always a pleasure, and smoked fish.

I’m intrigued by the Halal choices, but some of the “Halal delis” are mostly sandwiches.

After being here a few days, I’d like to take advantage of things like Caribbean food, so thank you for getting me to think about it.

I generally like fried chicken, and there are several options for that.

I might try Lucy’s Vietnamese, or Salud Bar and Grill via delivery tonight.

Salud Bar & Grill
(347) 365-7257

1 Like

Lucy’s: A friend of mine recently enjoyed that smoked brisket pho quite a bit.

Chinese: In New York, the greatest variety of regional foods – from Dongbei, Qingdao, Guizhou, Xinjiang, Henan, even Wuhan – is scattered throughout Flushing. But you can only dip your toe unless you’re part of an hourslong group crawl, or you’re willing to hop on the 7 train every two weeks or so, like me.

Halal: Consider your local West African options. You’ll find several within a couple of blocks of Fulton St. and Bedford Ave., including one substantial steam table whose only signage, last I looked, was the label on its letter grade in the window: “Halal Restaurant.” A navy bean pie at Abu’s Homestyle Bakery is just steps away.

Caribbean: If you eat lightly enough from the steam table, you could then turn down Nostrand Ave. for further bites, principally Guyanese and Trinidadian, for a half-mile or so. Another, even denser concentrations of Caribbean eats are farther south on Nostrand, and along Church Ave.

3 Likes

Great pointers! Thanks.

Are you in Brooklyn now? If so what have you enjoyed eating ?

Yes; I am in Brooklyn now. I have enjoyed several things, mostly in Crown Heights, or delivered from nearby
The fried chicken, fried fish, and mac and cheese from Peaches Hot House!
The chicken and the mushroom sandwiches at Lakou
The Liu braised pork, the Sichuan fried chicken and the green beans at Daxi in Flushing
The brisket Pho and the brisket bahn mi from Lucy’s

There were also random sandwiches from various corner stores that were fine.

I’m hoping to cook this weekend; plenty of salt fish at the grocery store.

I’m hoping to try the Haitian (Grandchamps?) and/or jerk suggestions (Peppa, Wadadli?) mentioned above this weekend as well.

Wadadli Jerk
(347) 240-5913

https://g.co/kgs/9hWVe3

Here’s the bakery with the bean pie

https://abusbakery.com/

And the “Halal” place nearby
Halal
(347) 405-7708

3 Likes

Grocery shopping!

Grocery shopping in Crown Heights; highlights.

Going to make fried saltfish with casava bread ( couldn’t find bammy)

6 Likes

I had the best pig tails at a German place on South Street in Philly. They were called pork wings and were fried and delicious.

1 Like

I remember reading about “pig wings”, but I don’t remember the cut. Maybe shanks?

https://plowingthroughlife.com/pig-wings/#:~:text=What%20Part%20of%20the%20Pig,a%20small%20handle%20sticking%20out.

In any case, I couldn’t help buying these ribs.

1 Like

Intrigued by “casabe” , maybe Dominican Republic casava bread vs Jamaican “bammy”

“There are two main varieties of cassava: sweet and bitter.”

2 Likes

Delivery from Peppa

Escovitch fish, sweet plantains, cabbage, rice and peas, jerk chicken, Mac and cheese.

Uploading: PXL_20230219_000255251.jpg…

Good!

4 Likes

Love escovich fish! Next you should go to a trinidadian place and get some doubles - and goat roti if you are game.

1 Like

I made “fried salt fish”.

12 Likes

I realize Bushwick is around a 15-25 minute drive from Crown Heights , but thought I’d include this since Alton Brown mentioned it recently. It popped up in my FB feed.

https://turksnyc.com/

2 Likes

Have you been? it seems awfully kitschy. Got a lot of press when it first opened, and I haven’t heard a whisper about it since.

1 Like

Nope, I haven’t been.

I’m sitting up here in my armchair in Toronto. I think Alton Brown’s post popped up on my FB feed because I was posting in this thread.

It’s possible he had a few when he posted. I remember him posting on Twitter after a few last year. Haha

Curious why you’d recommend it, then. Just based on a post from Alton Brown? Whose taste in restaurants I have little reason to trust.

1 Like

I posted it simply because Alton Brown said it was his new favourite place in Brooklyn.

I’m glad that you are adding to the discussion here (I am being sincere, not sarcastic). I don’t watch any food tv, but I probably would go to a restaurant Alton Brown likes, just to see what it’s like. If I was going to be staying in Brooklyn for 2 weeks, I’d be more likely to try a bunch of places from recommendations here but also recommendations that come from other directions.

I went to restaurant yesterday (in Toronto) because it has a quirky name. I was looking for an alternative to chain coffee shops, and a place serving tea, and I found the restaurant on Google Maps, searching for tea at an indie establishment near a certain intersection. The name was the deal maker.

i believe the term for it is schlock.

Peaches on Lewis for brunch. Not as special as the chicken and fish at the Bed Stuy location

We took the train.

10 minutes from the restaurant to the train station, then 10 minutes from the train station home.

Maybe I’ll finally get to Prospect Park this week.

2 Likes