Next two weeks in Brooklyn

They might have a cancellation list.

What is an American app for last minute tables at places that are difficult to book ?
Canada has an app called DINR.

1 Like

Thanks!

The website also says “PLEASE ADD YOUR NAME TO THE NOTIFY LIST TO RECEIVE A MESSAGE WHEN A TABLE OPENS UP. WE VERY OFTEN HAVE A FEW BAR SEATS AVAILABLE FOR WALK-INS AT OPENING TIME”

1 Like

Right on!!

Agi’s Counter is very good. I can also recommend Rangoon for Burmese.

2 Likes

Went to Lakou this evening. Nice vibe, and good food
I had the fried chicken sandwich. Thigh meat! Yeah! Daughter had the fried mushroom sandwich. They were served with plantain chips, salad greens, pikliz, and a white sauce

I have to make pikliz again. I got the soup to go, but haven’t tried it yet.

3 Likes

I was in Montreal recently and there are a lot of Haitian restaurants. They are all tiny spots and they seem to make the same 2 or 3 things and that’s it. I enjoyed very much the place I went, and I am curious about a side dish that was like a bread. I think the guy said they were madeleines, but savory. Had the same shape/texture as the cookie. Awesome. Does that sound right? BTW, the pikliz was very, very hot.

1 Like

This evening we went to DAXI Sichuan cuisine in The New World Mall
As @fooddabbler says; ETA.
Food Court below

J Mart on main floor

And the DAXI Sichuan restaurant above.
Daughter’s friends spoke to waiters in Chinese (Mandarin?), and I’m thinking they were saying " Help…we don’t know these people."

So much food, but for half what we usually pay for four.
Tibetan Fragrant Lamb; came with fried glutinous rice and roasted potatoes that were also a big hit.

Liu braised pork. The last dish, and I was quite full, but I enjoyed a bite and brought the rest home

Sichuan Style Spicy Chichen. A big hit. Perfect level of spicy, but one of several flavorful but salty for me dishes.

One of our favorites, but also a little oily and salty. Still a keeper.

There was more!

9 Likes

worth giving this a try - if it fails, you can always go across the street (Flatbush Ave) for Peckin Chicken!
or nextdoor for BBQ

2 Likes

Great idea!

Just to clarify, for those not in the know, some of the pictures are from the food court at the lowest level, some from the supermarket a level above, and some from the restaurant a level above that. Right?

1 Like

Yes! Thank you, and not too late to edit.

If you’ve been, please share! I didn’t check out the food court, nor neighborhood, which could be like Disneyland or Vegas!

It took a maddening amount of time to get to from Crown Heights at 5:30 in a Lyft. The traffic! And public transportation is so complicated if you’re not going toward Manhattan. What’s up with that? I’m still hoping to get back to other places in the “outer boroughs”.

That’s for another time and place, and to be fair, the neighborhood was jumpin’! Still jumping, and it took less time going back.

1 Like

I’ve been to the food court and the supermarket above many times, but not since 2019. More adventurous HOs have been there, however, and you can check out their adventures there and around that nbd. In addition to what’s said there, I like the “big tray chicken” from one of the stalls there (corner right as you come down the elevator).

1 Like

Thank you! Always wondered what that Flushing Food Crawl would be like.

I’m just going to add there is so much activitiy, police, and other emergency presence where I’m staying. So much horn honking and sirens! I feel very safe.

I’m going to have to admit I have become fully accustomed to the San Francisco Bay area suburbs. We have stuff going on nearby, but where we live, our acute threats are usually fires and drought. I’ve been trying to remember I can flush toilets willy nilly!

I remember how odd it seemed when I first moved. I took so many pictures of open space and sheep.

1 Like

You seem to be staying a short walk from the Haitian cafe-restaurant Grandchamps. At the very least, you could enjoy midafternoon patties and ginger tea!

1 Like

Keep in mind you are much closer to Brooklyn’s Chinatown in Sunset Park, bigger and arguably more genuine than Flushing. Some of my faves:

Chuan Tian Xia
Hot Space
Dun Huang Beef Noodles
Bamboo Garden for dim sum
Xin Fa for egg tarts

3 Likes

If you are coming from the SF Bay Area I would skip on things like dim sum and egg tarts. Bay Area has the best dim sum scene in the country.

People who like dim sum want to eat dim sum in every time zone, not just the best dim sum that’s probably 45 minutes to 2 h away from home, if Bay Area Traffic cooperates.

I live in Toronto, yet I still seek out dim sum in NYC, Vancouver
, San Francisco, Oakland, Calgary and Saskatoon when I visit.

1 Like

Do you have a wish list of national or regional cuisines that are underrepresented at home and that you’d still like to try here?

1 Like

(Me? Yes- I used to keep a running list of several dozen restaurants I would want to visit on my next trip to Manhattan and Brooklyn. On IG, I follow around 200 NYC restos serving regional foods that aren’t done that well in Toronto. The Brooklyn spots I would be seeking out while visiting NYC are located closer to Brighton Beach, but some of the places mentioned in this thread have caught my eye)

1 Like

That was an apparently misdirected reply to the OP, which I’ll attempt again. That said, I’ll gladly provide more intel for you next visit, especially for eateries that aren’t active on IG and the like.

2 Likes