New Yorker in Portland OR

West Coast Asian market you guys might enjoy.
Lots of Asian and Mexican food in Washington County, which is accessible via light rail.

2 Likes

Their flagship location in Seattle remains an all time favorite! Beautiful produce, and their aisles stocked with just about everything.

It is pretty far out of the way unless someone happens to be in Beaverton. They are from New York. I don’t know that Uwajimaya would be much different than what they would find at home.

Enjoy your stay.

2 Likes

I’d imagine everything in Portland can be found in NYC.
If that’s the criteria might as well just eat at McDonald’s.

There’s no McDonald’s in NYC??

What is the world coming to. Is there at least a Denny’s?

1 Like

With a car you can go east to the gorge and Mt Hood, west to the ocean and the Cannon Beach to Astoria part of Oregon coast, or south and be in wine country.
And I was kidding about Mickey D’s.
Burgerville is where you want to be.

2 Likes

OP only has 4 days. I love me some Cannon Beach and OR coast, but it takes an entire day to drive from Portland to there round trip with those windy secondary roads. There’s enough in Portland.

1 Like

“Thanks for this. The friend is also visiting for the first time. We are into food, offbeat museums, art and really just seeing/experiencing anything thats different. Will probably rent a car one day for some nature or maybe rent for the entire stay”

This is what Ziggy wrote.
I’m glad everyone knows what’s good for him without his input. :smiley:
I’m not sure you guys even want him to cross the Willamette.

Thanks. Yeah in a way you both read our minds. I’m good with just one day trip somewhere (probably gorge and mt hood), but he rather do one more, so we are a little torn. We’ll probably just wing it and decide then.

I rented an apartment in Alberta, and will have the car throughout

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

https://hubers.com/portland-downtown-portland-huber-s-food-menu

2 very old school establishments

2 Likes

Went through central Oregon recently, here’s Mt Hood from Elk Meadows on the SE side, about a 6 mile hike. Hood River is a cute town and the Columbia is gorgeous, you could do a whole loop around the mountain as a day trip.

I got lunch in Hood River, looked like there were some interesting options. I ended up with curry from a food truck. Tasted good, but was surprisingly served mixed together. :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes
3 Likes

There is a decent BBQ in Parkdale called Apple Vallly BBQ which is outside of Hood River on way to mt hood (take 281 off 36).

If one is in the mood for a burger and beer, I like Mt Hood Brewing Government camp. That is up at the mountain near Timberline lodge. Much better food than you will get at the lodge. There are lots of other dining options in the same area but I have not been to any recently enough to recommend.

3 Likes
1 Like

Well darn. I wish I had known of him when his truck was closer to me at high 5 in Vancouver (WA not B.C).

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like