New Year's Eve 2015 Boston MA

I’m wondering how many HO’s had interesting, either good or bad, experiences out on NYE. My husband and I went to The Gallows for the 5-course $70 prix fixe and really enjoyed it. The food was terrific and service was very warm and attentive without being intrusive. We started with a delicious and simple beet tartare, and then a board with some smoked salmon, Oysters Rockefeller, deviled eggs and a another snack that I can’t remember. All were served on either crackers or toast points. Next, my husband had the fattoush salad with lots of olives, parsley and a nice simple dressing and I had a richly flavored lobster bisque with a generous amount of perfectly butter-poached lobster. For mains, my husband had a deconstructed Beef Wellington which was nicely med-rare as ordered and I had the etouffee with tender rock shrimp and a large tiger prawn. Dessert was silver-frosted mini donuts from Blackbird Donuts. We also tried the excellent polenta fries with pomodoro sauce. There wasn’t a so-so dish in the bunch.

The space was really festively decorated and the mood was fun and inviting. We would definitely return next year, and will head back for dinner soon. I’m looking forward to trying the burger.

Mini Blackbird donuts

Étouffée

Beef Wellington with duckfat fingerlings.

We stayed in this year. Dinner was simple but delicious. Lobster tails and oysters from Alive & Kicking, and some champagne. It;s really nice having Alive & Kicking close by instead of battling the crows at J. Hook on holidays.

1 Like