New restaurants, bars, bakeries, coffee shops, food shops, etc in Toronto and the GTA

Post any news!

Nadege opened a new location in the Annex, at 494 Bloor W, in the space that had been a Starbucks, a block east of the Hot Docs cinema. https://www.nadege-patisserie.com/contact/

New coffee shop called Wild Hearts at 509 Bloor W, where Kilgours was located.I liked their iced latte, which has frozen coffee for ice cubes, which I haven’t seen elsewhere.

1 Like

Has anyone tried Ca Phe Rang at 147 Spadina? https://capherang.ca/

Onyx, which used to have their chocolates in the now-closed Wong’s Ice Cream, has now open in the space vacated by Rose’s on Gerrard. The chocolates remain eye-catching, with lots of interesting flavours (e.g., mandarin orange kecap manis). They also are now making ice cream, with four flavours currently available. The mouthfeel is smooth and dense, and the flavours we have tried are great. The Vietnamese chocolate is very rich, with a hint of bitterness. The coconut pandan was strong on the coconut with hints of the grassy/herbal aspect of the pandan. The other two are still in our freezer, awaiting sampling.
https://www.onyxchocolates.com/

2 Likes

Just tried the durian and it was very good - a pungent ribbon of almost onion-y, gym-sock-esque durian winding through the ice cream base.

1 Like

https://www.vildastoronto.com/s/order?location=11ec5e9f82937f42a7d5ac1f6bbba828#2

1 Like

New Korean tasting menu from an Actinolite alum…

2 Likes

I was there last month and it’s pretty good, although as much ‘continental’ as Korean.
I fondly recall the early days of Doma which did a ‘Korean fusion’ menu, which subsequently morphed into a more conventional Korean place as the patrons were mostly Asian.
At Orote the Korean ‘tendencies’ are far less - nothing too experimental - but not (yet?) quite as exciting.
Wine list is also better than the now-closed Doma. Service excellent (but as Actinolite was still closed, some servers had been borrowed from that place).

Definitely worth a try but my hope is that more risks will be taken in future - although it was packed on the night we were there.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried El Tenedor I walked by it recently as its a very odd spot for a restaurant. Nonetheless the reviews were good but not verifiable on Yelp. On the pricey side at 180$ for tasting only menu. Thought I would share it as seems relatively unknown and newish.

2 Likes

I’ve had a couple of excellent takeout dinners from there (takeout is done as Chefbox). That’s been on hold recently, but the owner/chef told me takeout should start again in April. Haven’t eaten there yet (and at this point, I think he’s just doing single table dinners, along with private catering.) It does get excellent reviews as you noted.

2 Likes

To clarify, I was referring to El Tenedor, that elvisahmed asked about.

1 Like

New Hakka spot on Parliament

1 Like

New Doner spot on Bloor west of Spadina. Address is 750 Spadina- it’s next to the Daily Dumpling Wonton Co. (Where Greg’s and the crepe place used to be located)

@THECHARLES they mentioned you here. New location of Won Ton Hut opening at 671 Queen West.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg2LmCpudNs/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

More here

A little bit of clarification, IMHO, is definitely needed here!!

The establishment captioned above features ’ Indian style ’ Hakka food…which is a totally different cooking style than the ’ Chinese style ’ Hakka food commonly found along the coastal areas of southern China!

Hallmark of Chinese style Hakka cuisine concentrates on the texture of food. Whereas preserved meats feature in Hakka delicacy, stewed, braised, roast meats – ‘texturised’ contributions to the Hakka palate – have a central place in their repertoire. Preserved vegetables (梅菜) are commonly used for steamed and braised dishes such as steamed minced pork with preserved vegetables and braised pork with salted vegetables. In fact, the raw materials for Hakka food are no different from raw materials for any other type of regional Chinese cuisine where what is cooked depends on what is available in the market. Hakka cuisine may be described as outwardly simple but tasty…as compared to the spicier version of their Indian cousin! The skill in Hakka cuisine lies in the ability to cook meat thoroughly without hardening it, and to naturally bring out the umami flavour of meat.

The Hakka who settled in the harbour and port areas of Hong Kong placed great emphasis on seafood cuisine. Hakka cuisine in Hong Kong ( which I was grown up to ) is less dominated by expensive meats; instead, emphasis is placed on an abundance of vegetables. Pragmatic and simple, Hakka cuisine is garnished lightly with sparse or little flavouring. Modern Hakka cooking in Hong Kong favours [offal ], an example being deep-fried intestines (炸大腸; zhá dà cháng ). Others include tofu with preservatives, along with their signature dish, salt baked chicken (鹽焗雞 ). Another specialty is the [ Poon Choi } (盆菜) While it may be difficult to prove these were the actual diets of the old Hakka community, it is at present a commonly accepted view. The above dishes and their variations are in fact found and consumed throughout China, including [Guangdong Province] and are not particularly unique or confined to the Hakka population.

3 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Toronto new restaurants

A Chica’s Chicken location is opening on Bloor in the Annex.

1 Like

Lots of Fortnum & Mason products available on the 2nd floor of Holts on Bloor near the Café and shoe department.

1 Like