New Orleans - Trip Report [New Orleans, Louisiana]

I fantasize about those oysters regularly. There’s nothing like it. And we stopped into the same gallery!

2 Likes

Thank you! We’ll be there next month!

2 Likes

If you can walk by that gallery and not go in you have no sense of curiosity…

3 Likes

There should be more to come!
I think I ordered poorly at Ruby Slipper but I will endeavor to improve my ordering in the future! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When we were at the French market they had CRAB BEIGNETS. I never even got the chance to try a ‘regular’ sweet one, but this was absolutely delish.

4 Likes

Ruby Slipper is pretty meh if you ask me. If you’re in the FQ, try French Toast, which is much better. Or walk a little (OK, Uber, it’s hot) and go to Willa Jean in the CBD, or Bearcat in the Warehouse District, or Surrey’s in the Garden District.

4 Likes

So I left New Orleans yesterday but I got in a few more good meals, and some only ok ones as well.
My second day really revolved around the WWII Museum, it was phenomenal. The exhibits, the staff, everything was outstanding. I zipped up to Big Little Kitchen for a quick lunch and had a couple apps, Crawfish Cakes and Seafood Mac and Cheese. Both were rich and tasty but neither was all that. But I chose it because it was close to the museum, so no surprises there.

I did not get home to the French Quarter until kind of late so I figured I would get a Po Boy at Verti Mart, chose the All that Jazz. Holy Criminy! Not a great sandwich but a fun one! It is chock full of flavor, mushrooms, cheese, ham, shrimp… I finished it in less than 6 hours and enjoyed every bite. And the staff are very cool, too. Though I have to admit that this is when I started to notice the whole knife thing. The sandwich prep guy was carrying a 10" Bowie knife in a horizontal scout carry. Definitely made a statement. Didn’t think anything of it but I realized an hour earlier my bar tender had been carrying an old 7" hunting knife OWB. And the next day I noticed a guy carrying a machete as he was riding his bicycle. Plus there were a lot of people carrying smaller blades in less conspicuous ways. Is this a recent thing? I do not remember seeing this many blades in my previous visits.
Next day I started at French Toast in the French Quarter. Great vibe, nice hibiscus iced tea and a very mild Gruyere and Herb Crepe dish. There was a good amount of cheese but almost no herb of any sort on the plate.

Anyway, some pretty good food so far, albeit not great food in the more recent places. But a great museum and nearly everyone I ran into in New Orleans was very welcoming. Especially considering it was 102 degrees and it would have been easy to be a little crabby. I have always loved New Orleans and this trip reinforced that feeling.

12 Likes

Now for the worst meal I had in New Orleans followed by my favorite pub by far and a final breakfast in a comfortable cafe.
So I have had several people tell me this Daisy Dukes was better than that one, but they all agreed that they were all good. Not great but good enough. Well the gumbo at the FQ DD was good but the shrimp Po Boy was probably the worst sandwich I have ever had in New Orleans. Over-breaded and over-cooked shrimp are not a good combo. Even a rather good cajun spicy gumbo is not going to remedy that. And it was spicy, just about right actually. The bar tender was great, but I just ordered poorly or hit the kitchen on a bad day. I will go back next trip because the gumbo gives me hope.

Which brings me to probably my favorite hangout place in New Orleans, Manolito. Great drinks, I had a Papa Doble w/Flor de Cana Extra Seco that was really good, and the bar tender constructed just about the best Red Hook I have ever had. It is just a Manhattan derivative, but when it is done right it is a very nice drink. I ordered the basic Cuban Sandwich and it was simple and very tasty. The waiter saw I was reading a book and his communication with me was non-verbal but effective. I did talk with him about cigars towards the end, looking for gifts for family and I figured, correctly, he would have some ideas. But sitting in the upstairs alcove with two good cocktails, a rather good Cuban Sandwich and a good book was a very relaxing time.

My final meal in NO was breakfast, again, at French Toast. Just a simple ham omelet with grits and shrimp on the side. Well executed and very tasty.

Sadly, i went back to Felix’s for another order of Char Grilled oysters and they were only fair this time. I have a theory that the best chefs get Mondays off…

Love this city and the food culture it encourages.

11 Likes

Glad you liked Manolito. It’s deep in such a touristy area but non touristy once you step inside and great cocktails.

3 Likes

It has a comfortable lived in feel, the people are cool, the drinks are well made and the food is good.
Despite the differences, my first thought was that it was a clean, well lighted place.
As long as I do not begin to resemble the old man.

2 Likes

That would be so up Spring Onion’s alley. Our 8+ year old puts me and B to shame with his knowledge of the World Wars.

And great trip report. We’ve never been to New Orleans.

3 Likes

Speaking as someone with approximately zero interest in war history, I found that museum fascinating and I think anyone would.

2 Likes

Why anyone recommends Daisy Dukes is beyond me.

When we go to the museum we walk down to Cochon Butcher for lunch

3 Likes

I am not sure about the second half of October, Shrinkrap, but this week and next week the temps are already trending down from 100’ish I enjoyed to 84 degrees ±5 next week and 90 degrees ±3 the week after, which is still warm but not bad!
If you are going in the second half of October, your temps will be even better, knock on wood!
I hope you enjoy your trip!

1 Like

Thank you! We are going end of September.

1 Like