New Orleans - Trip Report [New Orleans, Louisiana]

Top desserts in NOLA would be ice cream from Creole Creamery, the pecan pie from Brigtsen’s, and any doberge cake on offer at Bakery Bar (they’re made by Debbie Does Doberge, a very well-regarded baker here).

3 Likes

here’s a few more fun ones

6 Likes

+1 on the pecan pie from Brigtsen’s, it may have been the best pecan pie I’ve ever had. It’s served in a pool of caramel sauce.

7 Likes

Oh speaking of ice cream, Laozi ice cream is the best ice cream hands down in New Orleans that I have had. He sells it on Thursday out the back of blue dot donuts on canal street.

Mister Mao has his ice cream as a dessert, and you can also buy at Bubs burger on Banks

2 Likes

Delicious trip @brisket44! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

A little research (p. 204) discloses Wild Turkey in the house recipe:

Certainly not available to Escoffier.

Well I guess there is a way to make Wild Turkey taste good.

Wave in my general direction. I’ll be there for Thanksgiving, at my sister’s.

If anyone finds themselves in the other LA, and also enjoys pie in a sea of caramel, the apple pie at Jones is worth a stop

any other pies in a sea of caramel lemme know! I clearly need to sample that one at Brigtsens.

1 Like

It’ll hafta be a wave through space and time, as we are there the week before Turkey Day :wink:

Great work! I always rent a car in NOLA so we can get out of the FQ and CBD but even if you are limited to those areas (and the streetcar line) there’s plenty to eat.

I think it will still work.

1 Like

I’m going in September and have been taking notes!

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

I just booked flights and a hotel for 8/25 through 8/29. It is gonna be a hot couple of days but I want to see the WWII museum so the stormy day will be indoors anyway. LOL!
Breakfasts at Ruby Slipper, Fleur de Lis and Toast, other meals at Verti Marte, Daisy Dukes, Felix’s (personal favorite from years ago), Pagoda, Liuzza’s, Po Boys at Tracy’s & Parasol, maybe Manolito or DomiLise’s. Not sure if Central will be open (after the reno?) for a muffuletta.
Staying near Jackson Square and not getting a car so it will be walking and street cars for 4 days.
Thank you, Brisket!

3 Likes

I dream of the charbroiled oysters at Felix’s.

1 Like

It’s steamy in August but personally I love it, especially when you get a downpour of warm rain that breaks up the humidity.

1 Like

It will most definitely not be open. There was an article in the Advocate-Times Picayune less than two weeks ago celebrating the fact that their building just recently had a roof put on it. (They are looking to open in October or November; as a New Orleans resident, I’d advise keeping your expectations low for anything happening on schedule!)

Their sandwiches are still being produced, though, and they’re available at Sidney’s Wine Cellar next door, as well as a few other locations. See article for details.

3 Likes

Only to be replaced by even more Humidity :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

New Orleans in August is warm and humid? Who knew!!!
LOL! 2 meals and a couple short walks in and I am loving it here! I am staying near Jackson Square so as soon as I got my gear set down in the room I took off to Felix’s for Char-Grilled Oysters, Turtle Soup and Crawfish Etoufe. The oysters are addictive, I am not sure what that spice is on the ‘rub’ but it is outstanding! I sat at the bar and the bar tender kept slipping my freshly shucked oysters and they were large, slightly salty and mild. Not great oysters but really good. They have their own “cocktail sauce” that is delicious but it overpowers the oysters.
The turtle soup was rich and very good, then the bar tender brought over a shotglass of dry sherry and when I nodded he added it to the soup. Made it even more layered and luscious.
Then I got to the dish I used to love above all others at Felix’s. And it had been prepared well in advance and the rice had those rock hard outliers… And very little crawfish. Not so great.
Well 2 out of 3 ain’t bad as Jim Steinman put it.
Back to the hotel after a little people watching.
Hit Ruby Slipper for breakfast, but I slept in until 8 and it was actually crowded when I got there. Ordered Migas and a NOLA iced coffee. Migas is an egg scramble with Pico de Gallo, chorizo, tortilla crisps and avocado. Pretty good but not great, but the iced coffee hit the spot!
88 degrees at 10 am and getting hotter! Time to hit the museums and AC.
Off topic, but it is nice to get out of the smokey air we have been getting this month up in NW Montana. I miss the cool nights but hot, humid and muggy NOLA is better than cool, dry and smokey for me right now.
Felix’s Char-Grilled oysters, simply outstanding!

The turtle soup was excellent, the crawfish etouffe? Not so much.

Window shopping in NOLA.

Then the Ruby Slipper for Migas! Jackson Square is a nice photo op, too.

13 Likes